alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial progear albacore special
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
November 24, 2017, 12:12:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: progear albacore special  (Read 28158 times)
Jtijerina125

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 07:21:19 PM »

Yes it does. I am in a bit of a pickle and im trying to find out how to handle it. First my old drag washers which were the original were bad. I had replaced them with some thinned washers that didn't really fit.  After installing them I had great drag pressure but once I took my reel to get spoiled the drag dropped to a max of 8 pounds. So i the mix if trying to test and crank down to see the max pressure I messed up my star drag and the inner threads on the star drag are messed up. Now I'm searching to see what drag washers I can actually replace the old ones with that fit and how to either repair the threads on the star drag or replace it with a forum, fathom, equal, or torque star drag. I think one of these will fit seeing the schematics and videos they are all essentially the same reel minus the keyed carbon fiber washers. Have any suggestions?
Rancanfish

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 07:39:32 PM »

I finally bought a sheet of carbon fiber off ebay, and a punch kit, and made my own washers.

You need to measure the thickness, O.D., and I.D.  I think they are the same size as the 540 AB washers.

The stripped star may be a bigger problem.  Are you sure the gear sleeve threads aren't stripped too?

Where are you located? We may be able to get you some help local to you.

Can't sleep, clowns will eat me.
Jtijerina125

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 07:44:11 PM »

The shaft looks fine. When i measured the original I got 31.7 of x 9.7 id x 1.5 thickness in 'll. I am located in texas. It would be interesting to see if one of the drag stars actually fit. If so I can easily order one online or go to my local fishing reel store and grab one. I am located in Houston, tx.
Jtijerina125

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 07:45:26 PM »

I know it's the drag star because I saw the tiniest peace of metal shaving come out of it.
Rancanfish

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 08:13:05 PM »

Yeah, sorry I just don't know for sure.  I could check tomorrow if my Torque star fits on my 540, but I'm still not sure if the shafts are the same anyway. (282/540).

Maybe someone with a bit more PG knowledge will pitch in with an answer. Or you can call Ken's Custom reel service in S.Cal.(Oceanside).  Those guys may know as they do lots of PG service.

If you don't get an answer, I can check tomorrow morning.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 08:14:51 PM by Rancanfish » Logged

Jtijerina125

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2017, 08:17:50 PM »

I tried calling them today and they weren't very helpful. So I'm just searching for another alternative.
Rancanfish

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2017, 08:19:59 PM »

Hang in there, we have the most helpful people anywhere cruising thru...

Jtijerina125

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2017, 08:35:05 PM »

I will! Figure if i was going to find out then it would be here. Thanks for all the help so far and let me know if you find out anything with the torque.
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 05:08:56 AM »

the new producer of ProGear reels are making a presence on FaceBook.  You may want to try messaging them through there.

Cheesy I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. Cheesy
Rancanfish

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 08:48:51 AM »

I experimented a bit this morning.  The PG drag star cup is much shallower.

The Torque star will start but comes to an abrupt stop pretty quick. It is deeper to accommodate the star click assembly. I compared the stems visually, and they look very similar. That said, I was not willing to push the Torque star and risk a cross thread after it came to a stop.

The Penn star will not work is my opinion.

I know it will be tough, but locate a star from an Albacore special.  The CS series star also fits.  You may indeed get a modern star to fit, since the new PG's look a lot like the old CS series.  (I'm learning as we go, too).  I have no new models to compare.

If you do facebook, that may indeed be the only way to get an answer quickly.

Jtijerina125

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 07:25:56 AM »

So after looking at Sears to see if i could match the pitch of the threads I found out that I was fighting a lost cause. Luckily my buddy works at a machine shop and is just going to press out the bushing inside the star and replace with a new threaded bushing. So I get to keep my original piece.  He ha s to make it out of aluminum for me. It will get the job done.

I may ask him if he car make more for me. I don't know very many people who have this problem but it would be nice to have.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: