Keeping metal spools corrosion free during the season?

Started by Recoil Rob, May 08, 2018, 03:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recoil Rob

I stopped using my wire line outfits about 10 years ago, I rinsed and dried them off as always and 10 years later I find the reels, a 4/0 Senator and a 349 Super Mariner, had a nice green patina.

I stripped off the wire and backing and disassembled each one then gave them a good scrubbing with fine bronze wool and Corrosion X (CX). They actually look as good as new, one or two tiny spots on the spools that may show the brass but other than that it worked very well.

A plus to scrubbing with the CX is they now have a base coat that's really bonded with the plating, I'll wipe them down one more time before re-spooling. These reels will get used perhaps once or twice a week for a few months in the early season, will an annual treatment be enough to keep the spools from corroding again? I hate to completely spray them down after each use, the odor can't be attractive to striped bass.

What do you all do besides CX to keep spools from turning green?

thanks,

Rob
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

broadway

Rob,  I'm also a striper wire liner and I boeshield the spool or a little carnauba wax on it.  I also spray the whole spool a few times per season with boeshield and it doesn't seem to keep the fish off my line.  However, I do start trolling before we get to the spot so it takes off the stink (hopefully.)
Tightlines,
Dom

nelz

I've heard that the smell of WD40 actually attracts fish. That would do the trick. Just don't get it into the reel's internals.

Recoil Rob

Well, being a gun collector I have just about every rust/lube spray invented in the last 50 years. I'll try the Boeshield.
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

STRIPER LOU

Hey Rob, I too have used Boeshield and it works well. The past several years I've been using a thin coat of Corrosion X grease. I see no effect with it as far as the fish go.

At the end of the season, when I strip my reels down, the spools look new. Pretty amazing stuff.

..............Lou