Hi! New around here (with Shimano Baitrunner 6500B probs.)

Started by Ductard, May 08, 2018, 09:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ductard

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum...came across it poking around on The Hull Truth.  I live in Miami, just got a boat a couple of months ago and the trolling has been pretty sweet so far.

More pressing though, I sort of dunked one of my Baitrunner 6500B's....like bad.... Like dropped it off the dock when I was running late to catch a plane and it stayed in for 48 hours before my roommate went snorkling for it. 

It's currently soaking in fresh water with a bit of soap in it (figured i wanted to break down any emulsion and take out all the old grease anyway - hope that wasn't a mistake). 

I took the spool off and nothing looks too corroded, although it was about a week after I dropped it in before I got to open it up. 

Thinking about breaking it down myself, although it seems pretty daunting.  I saw the 6500 rebuild tutorial on this site, which is very thorough, but none of the pictures in the original post will render for me, says something about 3rd party hosting.)  Anybody have any insight there, or any other breakdown tutorial they can point me to?

Cheers!

Ductard

Swami805

First welcome. You handy with tools and fixing your own reels? If so have at it, if not there's some great pros on here you could send it too for service and save yourself some grief. There's a work around for pictures but I'm not that guy. Not the easiest reel to work on, you may want to punt
Do what you can with that you have where you are

festus

Hi Ductard, I've never owned a Shimano Baitrunner, but have worked on a couple of Okuma baitfeeders, not my favorite chore.  I'm sure someone on here can help.

When I first joined this forum late last summer, I was having problems with hijacked pictures also. There is a simple fix to this. 

If you don't have Google Chrome as your browser, I advise you to do so.  Go to this link and download the fix, everything works fine afterward.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embedded-imag/ogipgokcopooepeipngiikdkpmcpkaon?hl=en-US

Benni3

swill88

FatTuna

I would definitely open it up and clean out the inside as soon as possible. A dunk typically isn't a huge deal if you get to it right away. If you let it sit, stuff starts to corrode.

I'd start by removing the clutch plate, rotor, anti-reverse, spool shaft, bearings, and gears. Clean out all the old grease with a solvent and q-tips. I don't think it's worth disassembling the secondary drag unless you really have to. Soak the bearings in carb cleaner and blow out with keyboard duster. Repack them with grease. Reassemble the reel.

My guess is you will need new drag washers. The stock felt ones are super cheap, under $1 for all of them. Personally I like those old school felt washers better than carbon fiber for spinning reels. The other option is you can upgrade to carbon fiber. I'd do the rebuild first and then determine if it's worth the money.

You may need a new anti-reverse too.

The trickiest part of a 6500B is dealing with the little clips that hold in the spool shaft.

alantani

welcome!  not sure how old the reel is or if shimano will even be willing to help, but it might be worth contacting them to see if they will service your reel. 

CUSTOMER SERVICE: 877-577-0600
5:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday
Pacific Standard Time
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

Yeah, what Allen n' and especially FatTuna said. Got my 6500B all apart except for the baitrunner(rear) drag and spent about 5 hrs. to reassemble, cause I couldn't get system sequence right. Those clips FatTuna mentioned were indeed "a bear"---don't lose 'em!, very easy to do.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

bhale1

Ductard....
welcome to the site! You will have lots of fun here, and find many helpful people ;D
Like, Festus,thanks for the link , made it easy for me to add the pic fix on this new laptop..... download was easy peasy!!!!
Brett

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

exp2000

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain