Why do lever drag reels produce more usable drag than star drag reels?

Started by Nasty Wendy, May 09, 2018, 02:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

Yep - to discount the drag area is almost counter intuative but true. I believe -J's explanation to be spot on. Tribology (study of friction, wear etc.) is a really weird science. In fact the more I've looked into it the less I understand. From my humble experiments I have come across results for which I have no explanation (and I can't find an answer online - I've tried).

Nasty Wendy

Great info here guys. Thanks for helping me understand the how's and why's of this. I hadn't crossed my mind that gear ratio worked against the drag force on the star drag reels. Thanks for the link to the previous discussion on this as well. I have reading material.
Hi I'm Clay.
Lets raise our children to be Super Fishermen not Superficial men and women.

The more I interact with people the more I like my dog.

boon

Quote from: jurelometer on May 10, 2018, 01:45:43 AM
Agree with Boon except for one nit:

At the risk of oversimplification :):    Friction is weird.    The amount of force required  for two objects to slip  is a function of the clamping force and the coefficient of friction.  The size of the frictional area is irrelevant.

Argh, I always forget about this. It does my head in sometimes... I tinker with performance cars as well and over there the principle that a wider tyre has more grip applies, and is false under the laws of friction. There must be some other reasons for it - perhaps improved heat dissipation between drag components? Although obviously that would only effect sustained drag rather than momentary/startup drag.
As you say, friction is weird.

Tiddlerbasher