Spooling Line on Spools

Started by USN_ED, September 11, 2016, 06:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

When I built my spooler I used a DC E-bike motor 36V. Reduction gearing by toothed pulleys and belts. Final speed 180 rpm or 3 revs a second. This gearing also increased the torque. To make the whole thing practical you need a very strong reel mount and a consistent drag mechanism. This thread should give you some ideas:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11452.0

Keta

Quote from: USN_ED on September 13, 2016, 04:31:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies and advice guys.  Jeez!!!!  I'm a sticky!!!!

Now I gotta figure out a way to spool line with that much tension without a winder.  I'll figure it out.

You could drive to Klamath Falls and use my linewinder.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rivverrat

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on September 12, 2016, 09:13:25 PM
But  for braid I see no reason to use more than 10lb :)

Thought about this myself. The issue can be when using heavier braids that have been wound on at 10 lbs. resistance, then with fish on going to 20 lbs. of drag or more, the braid can & in some cases will embed
in its self ... Jeff

Tiddlerbasher

Not so according to Jerry Brown

Rivverrat

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on June 11, 2021, 05:58:43 PM
Not so according to Jerry Brown

I was unaware of this. Do you have a link where this was stated ? While all my reels contain braid I am always open to learning more. The embedding of braid into the braid on the spool stopped when I started filling my reels at higher drag. I'll be the first to admit I could be missing something in the process... Jeff

Tiddlerbasher

I have spooled reels with 10lb to 20lb drag - with 60-80lb test. Then the line was pulled to over 30lb - no difference, no dig in. Several years ago I did some tests spooling the same line at different drag settings and measuring the amount of line on the spool. Over 10lb drag did not get any more line on the spool - from this I concluded any minimal stretch was gone by 10lb drag (therefore any more spooling drag was a waste of energy).
When I spool line I use a crisscross method (I don't use a nice and neat 'side by side' technique). If you are using very fine braids (like 20-30lb) possible dig in may be an issue - never tried :-\

I don't trust the factory spooling to be tight enough so I rewind the braid onto an intermediate spool at 10lbs. My spooling machine applies drag at the spool not directly on the line.

I do regularly use 40 or 50lb hollow core braid for fly line backing (not for strength but minimal knots and capacity). I only spool it with a couple of pounds of drag - never caught anything remotely big enough to cause any problems :D

kmstorm64

I can't say for spooling it on, but taking it off, I chuck a piece of wooden dowel in my drill and just allow the drill to do all the work after that.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Hytekrednek

Quote from: Keta on September 12, 2016, 10:59:59 AMI either put Vet Wrap (sometimes sold as Flex Wrap) on the spool or splice in a short section of Dacron lie to tie to the spool.
Great idea!  I have been using a very nice double sided tape, made from what locks like weaved fiberglass and has a very good adhesive. I just cut a piece the width of the spool and go around the spool 1 wrap with no over lapping tape. Your idea sounds easier. I have plenty of Coban, and some vet wrap too.