Smoke salmon ideas

Started by gstours, May 10, 2018, 04:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Lets start with some fresh or frozen coho or the king and defrost and cut into even size portions,   Then make a brine using warm water to dissolve 1 part white/ or brown sugar to 1/2 part non iodide salt or pickle/ rock salt.
  Use a plastic or glass bowl and add some shakes of soy sauce and garlic powder.
Add the fish PCs.  Submerge if possible.    Soak over night In refrigerator.
   Remove and drain fish and air dry.  Till not wet looking.  Add black pepper, garlic, onion powder as desired.   Smoke in a smoke for 4 plus hours at 120-135f and enjoy.
    Very good for small portions of odds and ends of good fish and makes a very good unable snack base item.   Crumpets, cream cheese, kiiesh,pasta,  casserole, eggs scrambled,   Brunch...

gstours

The picture was after the overnights brine .  Can't wait.

gstours

This makes a value added part of fishing 🎣 and enjoying what you do.  Try smoke and you might live up your taste buds.   It's addicting.😝

scrinch

That's pretty much the brine for smoked salmon that I make too. Sometimes I'll add some cayenne pepper for a little extra zing. That reminds me, it's time to smoke some more to help clear out the freezer for this summer's salmon/halibut. Hope to bring some yellowtail back from Cedros too.

xjchad

Perfect timing!
I'm getting a smoker this weekend.
Can't wait!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Brewcrafter

Great tips and pretty much what I do.  EXCEPT:  I really have good results using Apple Juice for my brine.  Brings the acid and the sugar, along with some flavor as well.

gstours

Thanks for the apple juice idea 💡.  I've never thought of this for fish.  Butt use it on ribs, loins,and always in a smoker turkey 🦃.   Currently using alder wood chips as it's abundant here.  It's my favorite for fish.

handi2

I'm glad I just finished dinner..

That's mouth watering for sure
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Dominick

Good job Gary.  I don't remember seeing a smoker.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gman_WC

Very nice Gary. I'm a smoked salmon fan and like to do it myself also.
You just never know what your getting if you buy over the counter.
Could be great, could be a salt bomb!
I sometimes use pineapple juice in the brine or Mr. Yoshid's straight up!

IMO, resting fish on racks and let dry for about an hour or more until a glaze forms on the surface of the fish
is key.

-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

David Hall

That's about how I do it too.  Alder smoke for Salmon is the best.

jigmaster501

You will need to hit 145F internal for parasite destruction unless the salmon was frozen at -4F for 7 days.

It does look really good.

If you dry in the smoker with the vents open in the beginning, you will remove moisture from the surface and get smoke under the pellicle which provides a greater antimicrobial effect as opposed to creating the pellicle before entering the smokehouse.

gstours

Yes I do agree that you want the surface of the fish brined to be dry.  You get a better bark on it.  I use a fan in the garage behind the racks when its cool outside to speed the evaporation.   I usuallly smoke my fish at 125-135 degrees on a dial thermometer reading thru the side wall.
    And some people dry rub the spices and dont use a liquid bath immersion but its not my style.    Its makes an attractive idea for filets and that butt I usually cut up the fish to gain uniform thickness and sizes,  if possible. :)

David Hall

Quote from: jigmaster501 on May 13, 2018, 01:51:53 AM
You will need to hit 145F internal for parasite destruction unless the salmon was frozen at -4F for 7 days.

It does look really good.

If you dry in the smoker with the vents open in the beginning, you will remove moisture from the surface and get smoke under the pellicle which provides a greater antimicrobial effect as opposed to creating the pellicle before entering the smokehouse.

I discovered this accidentally, I used to let the filets sit under a fan for an hour before going into the smoker.  One time I just took them out of the brine put them right into the smoker and when I checked them an hour late they had a nice pellicle and already a good smoke layer.  The finished product seemed better but it could have been due To a number of variables.  I don't let them sit anymore. 

jigmaster501

The key will be knowing when to close the vents. Getting to 145F for 30minutes will partially destroy non-proteolytic CBOT spores. The smokehouse drying will get phenolic compounds under the pellicle which will help inhibit CBOT under the pellicle as well as drop the pH below the pellicle. This is important.