Epdm rod grips

Started by mikeysm, May 11, 2018, 09:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

I was looking for rod grips today. I found out that the epa is tryjng to outlaw hypalon rubber in this country. They are trying to replace it with epdm which is a big mistake. As soon as you get any kind of oil on it. It will start breaking down and turn into a mess. If you are building rods for people it will be very hard to fix. Striping the rod is the only way. I work with epdm allot at work. So I have seen what can happen when it is used around oil by people who do not know better.

Mike

Rivverrat

Thanks a lot for the heads up on this. I just ordered EPDM for some grips on a rod I'm building for someone.

Guess I'll cover them with X-Flox & use them myself... Jeff

Swami805

Good time to buy hypalon and hoard it. It's getting harder to find especially in longer lengths. I think they already banned the manufacture here, hoping someone overseas takes over so it doesn't disappear completely. The other materials are a poor substitute from my perspective.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Tiddlerbasher

Sheridan - I buy most of mine overseas (Thailand, China etc) - Chris.
It takes forever to arrive but it's cheap and readily available ;)

mikeysm

It seems like we can never get ahead without more regulations slowing us down.

Mike

happyhooker

What is the logic (other than it's the G'ment!) to the banning?

Frank

Swami805

I guess it takes some pretty nasty chemical process to manufacture. The way I understand it is that it could be done but the cost of outfitting a plant to meet the regulations was prohibitive.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Jim Fujitani

It is odd...  I tried to sell a box of hypalon at a swap meet last year.  I didn't even get one sniff.

Can EPDM work if it is overlaid with X-wrap?  I'm not up to speed...

Rivverrat

I checked & what Mike posted is true regarding EPDM.  Based on this I will not build a rod for someone else using it. I'm going to use what I've ordered for my personal rods.

Also I'm hearing that there is work being done to add a polymer to EPDM to make it more resistant or maybe impervious to breaking down when it comes in contact with oil. Dont know the status of this or if its even on going.

I dont know if covering X Flock will be the answer. I know it will help to some degree. After having EPDM in place on blank I will wrap both ends with quality tape then all of it with X Flock.

I dont have any X Flock on hand at the moment. Any one have any scrap X Flock they can test with WD-40 or any other oils that it may come in contact with to see... Jeff 

mikeysm

If they modify epdm they will kill the market for buna. It will be priced much higher also. Just expect to pay more from now on.

Mike

Rivverrat

Mike, this is stuff I only heard. If true I have no idea if it's on going... Jeff

oc1

I don't get it Mike.  Why can't they shift to other CSM manufacturers (Japanese) or neoprene?  They are resistant to oils.

If you have ever spend any time in Beaumont, Texas you will understand why DuPont had to close the Hypalon plant.

-steve

mikeysm

The reason they are outlawing hypalon is it ends up in land fills. It last a long time and dosen't break down. Wait they wlll keep  going until there is nothing left to use. Big companys like this because you will buy more often because it doesnt last as long.

Mike

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Rivverrat on May 12, 2018, 04:51:05 PM
  I checked & what Mike posted is true regarding EPDM.  Based on this I will not build a rod for someone else using it. I'm going to use what I've ordered for my personal rods.

Also I'm hearing that there is work being done to add a polymer to EPDM to make it more resistant or maybe impervious to breaking down when it comes in contact with oil. Dont know the status of this or if its even on going.

I dont know if covering X Flock will be the answer. I know it will help to some degree. After having EPDM in place on blank I will wrap both ends with quality tape then all of it with X Flock.

I dont have any X Flock on hand at the moment. Any one have any scrap X Flock they can test with WD-40 or any other oils that it may come in contact with to see... Jeff 

I wipe my rods down, including the deckhand rods with x-flock at least once a year with Corrosion X. The X makes the heat shrink compound look brand new. No issues as of yet and I have been doing this for many years.

Rivverrat

SoCal Thanks for that... Jeff