Epdm rod grips

Started by mikeysm, May 11, 2018, 09:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

OK, after hearing many conflicting things I decided to see for myself. I saturated one side of this scrap piece of EPDM with TSI oil.

This is the most likely oil my grips will come in contact with. I'll give it a few days & post back... Jeff

oc1

Remember Monkey Grip inner tube repair kits?  They came with some sort of solvent cement, little EPDM pre-cleaned patches and a scrubber to give the tube some tooth where the patch was to be applied.  That same solvent cement will make a permanent bond with any form of EPDM.
-steve

Rivverrat

Mike,  EDIT: MY REPLY HERE WAS TO STEVE    it was stated earlier in the thread that oil would degrade EPDM. I looked into it & initially was told by many that this was true but later received conflicting reports. Regular epoxies for rod building seem to work just fine with it so far... Jeff

mikeysm

It seems they might be treating the grips with something to make it oil resistant. I have silicone that is used for car door seals and it is what Toyota uses on their door seals. United Composite uses 3m epdm cold shrink tubing for the forgrip on their rail rods. I think if you treat the surface you should be ok. The silicone does not make the surface slipery. It makes it grip better.

Mike

Rivverrat

Mike, I wanted to state that what you said about EPDM in your opening post is a fact. I have witnessed oil degrade this material but had since forgot about it.

I'm glad you posted what you did.

However as we both can see this EPDM for rod handles is very possibly different. Having been treated or what
not... Jeff

mikeysm

It might very well turn out to be a better choice  But they have rushed this to market. Nothing come without problems. We are the guinea pigs for them. With proper care it should last for years.

Mike