Brand New Daiwa Lexa HD 400H-P Sometimes Doesn't Go Into Gear

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, May 28, 2018, 07:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I just bought a Lexa HD 400H-P and took it fishing for the first time last week.  I love the way that it casts lightweight baits, but sometimes when I turn the handle after casting, it doesn't go into gear and I have to flick the bar up to make it engage.  I called Daiwa and they told me that since I didn't buy it from an authorized Daiwa dealer, I could basically put the reel where the sun doesn't shine.

Does anyone know if there is an easy fix for this problem?

Thanks,

Randy

handi2

Randy I've never had a problem with mine. Maybe it's been worked on and the ratchet is upside down. Or it just might need a little lubrication.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

MarkT

I would open it up and lube the thumb bar and spool release bits.  I haven't had that issue with my Lexa's but I've had the same issue with multiple Abu Revo NaCl's.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thank you Keith and Mark.  I will open it up and see if a little bit of oil will fix it.  This is the first brand new reel that I have bought for myself in many years and it was a real surprise when it didn't work.

Shark Hunter

That Sucks.
I hope you get it sorted Randy.
The only Daiwa's I deal with are the old Sealines or their new spinners.
They are the big Three above Penn. Okuma, Daiwa and Shimano.
Super powers of the reel Industry of Modern Today.

Life is Good!

Lunker Larry

A common problem I've seen with the 400s, and I believe it is a fault in the reel, is the yoke. I've seen currly pieces of plastic shaved off by the pinion making it too slopping to mesh properly with the drive gear.
There is also a small brass piece where the pinion sits that comes off and causes all sorts of issues; tearing the anti reverse dog apart, wrecking the gears, breaking the ends off the yoke and jamming things up. Got 3 on my workbench waiting for Daiwa to ship parts from Mars or wherever they come from. ANyone else have issues with how long it takes to get parts from Daiwa?
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thanks to everyone for the info.  I am happy to hear that it is not an uncommon problem with this model.  I guess that I will just have to get used to flicking the bar up manually.  I am really disappointed that Daiwa would not stand behind their product.

exp2000

Quote from: Lunker Larry on May 31, 2018, 08:48:50 PM
A common problem I've seen with the 400s, and I believe it is a fault in the reel, is the yoke. I've seen currly pieces of plastic shaved off by the pinion making it too slopping to mesh properly with the drive gear.
There is also a small brass piece where the pinion sits that comes off and causes all sorts of issues; tearing the anti reverse dog apart, wrecking the gears, breaking the ends off the yoke and jamming things up. Got 3 on my workbench waiting for Daiwa to ship parts from Mars or wherever they come from. ANyone else have issues with how long it takes to get parts from Daiwa?

Yeah, sometimes it's so bad here in Oz that I order in from Plat in Japan.

The level of professionalism is far better and you know where you stand.
~

Donnyboat

next time if your stupid enough to buy Diawa, tell them, not sure where it was purchaced from, given to me buy my late, uncle as a present, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat