TD-X 103HVA braking stopped working

Started by AbyN, May 14, 2018, 04:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbyN

Hello, 1 of my favorite reels; TD-X 103HVA, decided to stop "braking".

the braking function is non existent now.

with the brake set @ 1 or 10, the free spin is the same..... zero intervention when set @ 10

i pulled the cover & nothing looks out of place, dirty, no floating parts either.

any ideas or suggestion for remedying the issue?

Cor

Look for something that has opened up the gap between the magnets and the spool, perhaps the spool tensioner/"cast control cap" is too loose, or in the "Mag cast control adjusting mechanism".    Operate the "Mag adjusting mechanism" with the side plate removed to see if it does move the magnets and how much.

Check that magnets are in proper place and that they have perhaps not lost their magnetic "power" by being in proximity of some other magnetic force, or heat?   I once attached magnets with hot melt glue and  in that way learned that heat affects magnets.

I am not familiar with the reel and looked at the schematic but that did not show me anything that could possibly obviously be an issue.

Magnets usually work trouble free, so it should be something fairly obvious, I do see you have already looked.
Cornelis

Hamachi

I would look at the spool. Daiwa superglues the cup that goes into the magnets onto the shaft and spool. This comes apart after awhile. See if it spins separately from the spool. Try a new spool or if you're handy, try to re-glue the cup back on. If you took the magnets out, set the dial to ten before re-installing them.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

AbyN

Hello all & thanks for the advice.

I looked at the spool & the metal hub looks to be pinned into place. I tried moving / spinning the metal part & it doesnt spin.

Here is a pic of the mechanism @ setting 10. There are some marks that line up @ 10 on the grey pieces.

not sure how to tell if the magnets are out of place.

So when i move the dial, i see that the toothed bit moves, but i dont understand what it is supposed to do... unless if it has something to do with the polarity phasing, that i cant see.

Thanks again for the insight.

Cor

Unfortunately I can not see from the picture what moves or is suposed to move or even where the magnets are.
It looks like the outer ring is moved by ther gear at the top.

These things work mechanically by increasing or decreasing the gap between the magnets and the spool or spinning part.

Looks like a fairly robust constructioin?

I noticed a few videos on Youtube about this reel, have a look there, you may find something that will help.

I need to get on the move and can't look for you now.
Cornelis

Fish-aholic

Daiwa's magnofuge magnetic control operates differently compared to other mag units that work via proximity alone.

With this mag control design, there is a spring loaded conducting collar on the left hand side of the spool; when cast, will counter the springs preload - through centrifugal force - so conducting collar can offer proximity by nestling in between two magnetic rings gaining mag braking.

The adjustment knob rotates a magnetic ring to alter its polarity, not proximity. The countersunk notches on the rings line up when placed at setting #10 (max braking) and misaligns when minimising braking. The notches are there to help with disassembly/reassembly.

This means bench testing spool speeds with differing mag settings is not possible because the spool cannot generate enough rpm's to counter the spring retaining conducting collar, therefore giving the illusion mag braking is not taking effect.

To bench test this mag system requires the conducting collar propping up (see below pics), reassemble reel and the differing mag settings are now seen taking effect. I used the stem from a Q-tip to prop collar up while testing this system for myself. ;)

HTH, Steve

philaroman

BRILLIANT!!!  ...great to know!!!
I fave a TD-X 103HVLA, that I have yet to crack open

Cor

Yes, well, OK ??? ???
I better stick to my old designed reels that I understand.
Cornelis

AbyN

Thanks for the insight guy's.

Turn's out the problem was self inflicted.

I put a fresh spool of braid on my reel & sent some line thru the holes of the spool & tied a knot.

The line went thru the side that has the braking mechanism & prevented the magnetic spool from centrifugalling out...

I didnt realize the involvement / functionality of the magnetic cup thingy, until watching the long video talking about the different variants of this reel.

Took the line off, re-applied by using the holes on the other side & she works like a champ!

Thanks again for all the brain storming!

philaroman

Quote from: AbyN on May 28, 2018, 05:25:41 PM
I put a fresh spool of braid on my reel & sent some line thru the holes of the spool & tied a knot.

The line went thru the side that has the braking mechanism & prevented the magnetic spool from centrifugalling out...

that's a bad, weak attachment point, in general...  for ANY ported spool
those holes are for weight reduction & while smooth on the outer surface,
inside, they have sharp angles (or even, edges) that were never intended to touch line
NOT line-friendly!!!  ...esp. NOT BRAID!