alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial They do work !!!
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
October 21, 2018, 03:14:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They do work !!!  (Read 2987 times)
54bullseye

« on: May 14, 2018, 02:07:37 AM »

Well I own a bunch of cradles but yesterday was my first time ever using one. Me and my rod builder Dave Turner  http://turnerscustomrods.com/ made a couple of Nep-Tuna cradle reels into more comfortable bottom fishing rigs. The usually have short butts and are set up more for trolling with gimbals and different guides. So yesterday was a first !! My girl and I went Haddock fishing out of Seabrook NH. with  Eastman's Fleet and did very well on Haddock with some nice Cod mixed in "can't keep any Cod". Me and my girlfriend both got our limits of 12 Haddock and had to let quite a few back. I mostly used a jig all day and like I said had some nice Cod mixed in including some doubles.

As far as the cradle reels performance I liked the one with the 113H  4/0 Penn in it best that one has a nice older Fenwick blank and handled the 9 to 12 ounce jigs I use no problem. The other had a Penn Jigmaster in it with a Calstar 196 rod and I found that light for this type of fishing. I also found the cradles a little bulky and harder to use than my regular jigging rod but they did the job. I think next time I go I will use the 4/0 as my bait rod and bring my regular rod for jigging !!!  The Jigmaster will be saved for lighter fish and more shallow water.    John Taylor

* IMG_0988.jpg (531.94 KB, 1512x1361 - viewed 51 times.)

* IMG_0989.jpg (357.71 KB, 1280x1150 - viewed 54 times.)

* IMG_0994 (1).jpg (542.54 KB, 1288x1649 - viewed 61 times.)
thorhammer

"You can't drank all day if you don't start..."

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 02:26:38 AM »

Great fish, wow is it flat....Love the build on that Fenwick. Very nice wrapping.

John 
1badf350

-Chris

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 03:23:40 AM »

Well done John!! Nice to see those old rigs back in action!
Did you have many people asking you about your gear?

-Chris
coastal_dan
Green Firefish, Anchor of the Oceans!
Sensei

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 03:55:52 AM »

Too cool John, nice to see them getting used and fishy!

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...
Donnyboat
donnyboat
Photo Group

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 08:15:38 AM »

Very nice John, good day out, thanks for posting, love them cradles, cheers Don.

Don, or donnyboat
Swami805

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 08:33:23 AM »

The cradles back in action, great to see it. Thanks
Dominick
Administrator

San Mateo, California

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 11:35:29 AM »

The cradles back in action, great to see it. Thanks

Times 2 on that.  I used mine in Mexico.  Fishing was slow but managed a small dorado on it.  I don't take down there anymore because it is too bulky to pack, but it sure was fun using it.  I have a 9/0 attached.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.
Tightlines666
Sensei

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 01:06:57 PM »

Nice!

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.
54bullseye

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 01:28:11 PM »

You know the cradles both big and small would probably work pretty good for trolling with the shorter butts and gimbals. For fighting a fish with a rod belt and possibly a shoulder harness there bulkyness wouldn't be so much a problem. Then with the big cradles you would be in a fighting chair with a harness they would be much like a regular big game set up. But holding them all day while jigging they seemed awkward and once you get some fish slime on your hands the cradle itself is a slippery bugger !!!  I will still bring one for bait fishing just because I like them and the novelty !!  

I did have a lot of people check them out in wonder !!      John Taylor
Bill B (Tarfu)
Fish Nutritionist II
Sensei

Crestline, CA

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 07:30:45 PM »

Cool beans brother....good to see the NepTuna getting some work in.  I haven't had the pleasure of getting mine out but that should hopefully change this year.....Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 12:08:55 AM »

John, maybe you figured out why they don't make cradle rods any more.  Good catch.
-steve
Rivverrat

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 09:05:46 AM »

Thanks for posting this. I see a lot of merit (with some design changes) mounting a reel to a rod in this fasion. Some very nice pics... Jeff
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 09:08:38 AM by Rivverrat » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: