Okuma Andros 5 II serial number 3618-122, skips in high gear

Started by alantani, May 15, 2018, 04:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

this andros is being wound with 50 pound braid that is under 8 pounds of pressure.  that is well within specs for this reel.  in low gear it's fine.  in high gear, it skips.  has anyone else had this problem.  i vaguely recall an issue a while back.  i'll send an email to okuma tomorrow, but thought i'd check here first. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I've had that issue with Andros and Makairas. Often if you rotate the pin by 90 or 180 or 270 degrees and if that doesn't work, flip it then repeat until it seats nicely. Sometimes the pin gets hammered a particular way due to the pressure of engaging the high speed gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

But the gears are slipping,  one tooth at a time,  right?

Tiddlerbasher

Don't know about the skipping problem Alan, but is that a bottle of Laphroaig 10 I spy with my little eye ;)

Tiddlerbasher

That's a very dangerous place to have your hand - I use one of these - a re-cycled rod tip.

alantani

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on May 15, 2018, 09:23:44 AM
Don't know about the skipping problem Alan, but is that a bottle of Laphroaig 10 I spy with my little eye ;)

Yes, one of my favorites!

Tiddlerbasher

Rivverrat

Quote from: alantani on May 15, 2018, 06:33:44 AM
But the gears are slipping,  one tooth at a time,  right?

Yes, the gears are slipping but it's not the the gear teeth if it's what I'm thinking as described by Bryan. For the actual teeth of the gear to skip would include other very noticeable issues such as excessive gear / shaft   wear or gear not machined within specs.

The squared cross / shift pin is what allows us to change gears & must mesh well with it's machined slot in both the high & low gear. If it is not it can be forced against the spring loaded pin & come out of gear with the anti reverse dogs stopping this & the cross/ shift pin gets pushed back in it's  slot. This appears to be whats happening... Jeff

handi2

That scared the crap out of me when it jumped. Its easy to tell the drag is low. Any higher you couldn't move the line by hand

The rod tip level wind tool is good but it needs a cut out in it so it would be safer. A slot cut out so you can put it on the line and take it off. I can't  tell if it has one or not.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Donnyboat

Alan, I cant tell you much about placing line on reels, when I`m running line on the spool I try to place more line on the outside edges, of the spool rather than have it level right across, then if I do hook a good size fish, more of the line will level out in the centre, as I wind the fish in, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

boon

Ok, I watched the video in really slow motion and I have a theory.

If it's anything like the Metaloid 5 2-speed (I can't find a schematic for the old style Andros 2) the high speed pinion gear nests in the low speed pinion gear, which is what actually drives the drag plate/AR ratchet and all of that assembly. My money is on the interface between these two gears slipping.

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: handi2 on May 15, 2018, 11:18:20 PM
That scared the crap out of me when it jumped. Its easy to tell the drag is low. Any higher you couldn't move the line by hand

The rod tip level wind tool is good but it needs a cut out in it so it would be safer. A slot cut out so you can put it on the line and take it off. I can't  tell if it has one or not.

Keith, my original version did have a slot but it kept catching the line when I was pushing and pulling. My current one doesn't have a slot.

Rivverrat

Quote from: boon on May 16, 2018, 04:28:06 AM
Ok, I watched the video in really slow motion and I have a theory.

If it's anything like the Metaloid 5 2-speed (I can't find a schematic for the old style Andros 2) the high speed pinion gear nests in the low speed pinion gear, which is what actually drives the drag plate/AR ratchet and all of that assembly. My money is on the interface between these two gears slipping.

You could be right. What Bryan described  & your diagnoses could give the same symptoms... Jeff

alantani

apparently there was an issue with the gears on some models.  funny, mine are fine.  this reel is going back to okuma today! 

kutlingen

Im also having this problem on a almost new (two trips out) 5IIA. Due to sitting on a shelfe for a wile, the reel is out of warrenty. I fliped the square pin, and wille see if this helped when i load the reel down and try to wind...