seawolf sportfishing, emeryville, ca - thursday 5/3/18

Started by alantani, May 01, 2018, 02:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

jon yokomizu runs the seawolf out of emeryville.  i've got some reels to deliver to him so i'm going to take the opportunity to fish with him this coming thursday, 5/3/18.  the plan is to run to the farallon islands.  not sure if they will have live bait or not (doubt it) so i am bringing a couple of pounds of squid.  i am also going to try a new trap rig for rockfish.  don't laugh, but i'm going too add a small cyalume light stick to the mix.  they're $7 for fifty on amazon.com

so here's the new rig.  i'm still using 50 pound big game for abrasion resistance.  the bottom 1/0 mustad treble hook is tied on with a perfection loop.  this hook will bend before the line breaks, even though the perfection look is a 50% knot.  there is a 4 inch spread from the bottom of the treble to the bottom of the generic amazon.com el cheapo 4/0 octopus hook with the glow stick in the middle.  i use a 7+7 double bumper knot (aka egg loop knot) for the j-hook.  alot of guys like to tie sliders, but i prefer to have the j-hook hard tied.  alot of times is the top hook that lands these fish, not the bottom.  and then i finish off this 3 foot leader with another perfection loop.  here is the finished product!  i'll let you know how it works.  if anyone wants to join me, there are 7 spots left! 

https://seawolf.fishingreservations.net/sales/
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swami805

Sounds like a fun trip Alan, If you can get a sand dab for that trap rig you'll be in business. Have a great trip!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

El Pescador

Quote from: alantani on May 01, 2018, 02:14:44 AM
....  don't laugh, but i'm going too add a small cyalume light stick to the mix.  they're $7 for fifty on amazon.com

Alan,

NO laughing here or in Gustavus, AK!!!!   

Gary The-BUTT-man used them on our Halibut fishing trip last summer.  Compared to your glow stick, his were HUGE!!!!  At Least 5" - 7" long using an AA Battery for the light source.

Gary, please chime in with your experience using the RED Light, GREEN Light and WHITE Light clip-ons.

No Thormhammer, NOT White Lightning!!!!!

Check 'em out.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Dominick

No one can argue with success.  The Butt Man brings them in with lights and smells.  I have successfully used them on salmon along with scent and salmon killer.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

I made some with peaches charred over cherrywood that'll knock yur socks off.  I mean trap rigs :)

ReelFishingProblems

Thanks for the tip on the glow sticks Alan.
John, might need to see these peach trap rigs.

David Hall

I'm using a pro troll flasher, has three different color flashing lights and an e-chip.  It's water activated for the lights and replaceable when the battery dies, just. Remember to dry it off before putting it away or the lights will keep flashing.

Gman_WC

Walnut Creek, CA

day0ne

You need to watch which glow sticks you use as they can be crushed , depending on the depth you fish. Lights are tougher.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Dominick

Alan, would you post a link for the light sticks.  I searched Amazon and could not find 50 for $7.00.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

here you go!  https://www.amazon.com/Fun-Central-Mini-Glow-Sticks/dp/B0050OP8TE/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1525449589&sr=8-10&keywords=1.5+inch+glow+stick

fishing yesterday was slow.  it was amazingly flat calm!  i got a nice limit of rockfish and one skinny ling cod.  alot of people were having trouble, but we all eventually got limits.  the guys throwing jigs yesterday did very well.  fortunately there was not the fast drift that makes deep water jigging so tough.  most of the rockfish were stuffed with krill shrimp, which is probably why the bait bite was so slow. 

i never get tired of this!

Big Tim