Problem with a 2071

Started by festus, May 15, 2018, 03:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

This 2071 looks to have the same housing as the big 2091.  Spool diameter is about the same as the smaller 2062, but spool is a little deeper, thus more line capacity.

Got a problem removing the rotor from the main body.   I've used Liquid Wrench and WD-40 but this is a stubborn one.  Any suggestions?

Gfish

Possibly the L. Wrench + a combo. of heating & freezing. No flame with the L. Wrench or any other flamable solvent. Boiling water/freezer could work.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

festus

We'll try that frozen thing first. Not sure we have a propane torch but good excuse to buy one.

First time I've had a problem removing a rotor on any spinning reel.  That lock washer is really "locked."  I see lots of shade tree reel mechanics on youtube, some of those folks would probably let it go.  But not me.  I need to service the ball bearing and clean and lube up the bail trip assembly.

This seems to be  a decent reel, just doesn't have the line capacity I expected for such a heavy one.  Rotor and spool are about the same size as a D.A.M. Quick 330/331/285 Finessa but the reel itself is obviously heavier.  So now I only lack the 2081 to have a complete collection of maroons, but in no hurry to get it.

Not sure I had ever seen the 2071/2081/2091 sizes here in Tennessee when they were sold in the 1960s.  But the 2052 and 2062 were around.

Midway Tommy

Chester,

You don't need a torch, it will bubble the paint. If you do resort to heat use a hairdryer.

I know this is going to sound strange but, with the reel as you show it with the retaining nuts (mine has two nuts) off, open the bail like you are going to cast it and then rotate the rotor like you would to close the bail. On mine the rotor slid right up/off the pinion. There is nothing to hold it on other than the retaining nut. The bearing retainer, i.e. back of the rotor, & bail trip are underneath the outside rotor shell. If that doesn't work take a small soft (pine) block of wood & hammer and tap the back rim of the rotor forward to break it loose. It will easily pop loose.

The 2071 was designed as a heavy freshwater reel that could used for light saltwater applications. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Thanks for the advice, Tommy, it worked in a couple of seconds.  I'd tugged around on the rotor probably 15 minutes this morning and couldn't get it off.  Amazing how just opening and closing the bail solved the problem.  The pinion bearing had black metal shields on both sides.  I removed one of them, soaked it in lacquer thinner half an hour or so, shaking it every so often.  A toothbrush took all the gawm out of there.  I left one bearing shield off and the other on, guess that'll be ok.

These Shakespeares from that time frame are amazing little machines.  I very seriously doubt that WalMart, Dick's Sporting Goods, or Academy Sports in Knoxville has anything on the shelves as powerful as the 2071 and 2091.  Maybe some of the top end Shimanos, which you don't see here regularly.  And I haven't seen any modern spinning reels made by Shakespeare I'd even consider buying.

handi2

I have a 1970's Shakespeare brochure that ive had forever. Ill take some pictures and post them up. I had all of the saltwater reels at one time. Some with factory manual bails.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

festus

I have their 1969 catalog, they sure had some pretty fishing rods back then too.

JNG3

Thanks for posting the ads Festus!

festus

Quote from: JNG3 on May 16, 2018, 08:18:07 PM
Thanks for posting the ads Festus!
Jim, you can also find a ton of old ads here.
https://books.google.com/books?id=aS5eRKFjprgC&source=gbs_all_issues_r&cad=1&atm_aiy=1960#all_issues_anchor

Google Books has about 40 years of Field and Stream issues starting in 1968.

I've seen this old baitcaster from Shakespeare in ads, but never seen one in person.

JNG3

Oh great, you just had to post that link didn't you!  ;D Used hours of reading ahead!