Long Beach 60 collectible?

Started by xjchad, May 10, 2018, 03:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

In looking for a reel stand with a clamp provision for my Mag 10 project, Mike mentioned that some LB 60's had a clamp stand the right width.
A few days later, I found one for super cheap and snagged it (also has an aluminum spool).  Now I've come up with another idea for the Mag 10 and plan to build the LB 60 on it's own.
My question is, if the stand on this reel is rare, is the reel collectible at all?  (I read somewhere else on the net that it might be)
I'm not into collecting right now, and it's certainly not a show queen at this point.
I'm thinking it would make a great reel to fish once I go through it, but if it's rare or something, maybe it's life is better served with a member who'll display it nicely?

Husband, Father, Fisherman

mo65

That's a pretty nice LB 60, not rare or super valuable, but a cool reel indeed. The spool isn't original, probably an 85 or 185 Seaboy spool. It needs the correct clamp and screws also. Looks like someone decided to make the ol' girl fishing ready by replacing the plastic spool and crusty clamping hardware. With all parts period correct the stand does indeed bump up the value.8)

P.S. Turn the eccentric lever around...it's on backwards.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Cool, thanks!  8)
I'll just build it up to fish with then, seems like a great starting point  ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Newell Nut

They are tough little reels. We use them for the tourist on the party boats here in Daytona. They can handle Ajs and snappers pretty good for a budget reel. They have nice heavy pinions too.

mo65

These old LBs, the Delmars, Seaboys, even the Seagates can all make around 10lbs. of drag with greased HT-100s. Plenty of power for fishing 30lb. mono...great usable reels.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

To my knowledge, those clamp style stands for a LB 60 are kinda rare. I believe they were sold as an upgrade product in the 40's. Like Mo's talkin bout, the black clamp part is not peroid correct, but it is a good one. Thing is, you probably don't really need a clamp to fish a LB 60. If it was me and I's gonna fish it, I'd keep the clamp as is, and use the aluminum spool with 30lb. mono. Simple, dependable, and easy to service, indeed a west coast party boat/rockfish favorite.
Don't know if the stand would make the reel collectable too...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!