Okuma CV-45D not winging smoothly -- drag question

Started by Legacy, May 13, 2018, 06:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legacy

I have an Okuma CV-45D reel that does not wind smoothly.  When winding there are a couple of spots where the handle gets harder to turn.  Over the 360 degrees the handle turns there are 2 or 3 small sections (maybe 15 degrees each) where I have to increase the force on the handle to turn it.

I've disassembled the entire reel and could not find any obvious issues such as worn or broken teeth on the various gears.  I was wondering if the drag system could cause the issue.  All the drag washers are intact and actually look almost brand new.  The one thing in the drag system I'm not sure about is the orientation of the last key washer in the drag stack (Okuma part # 16120032).  This washer is concave, not flat, and it isn't clear to me from the various part diagrams if the concave side faces the drag stack or the reel side plate.

Any suggestions I should try to correct this issue would be greatly appreciated.

alantani

Possibly damage to the pinion gear,  maybe a small piece of debris stuck between the gear teeth.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Legacy

OK, thanks for the suggestion.  Will double check the pinion gear.

akfish

Could also be some minor damage to the idler gear.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

handi2

If the last keyed metal drag washer is concave it faces the main gear.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Legacy

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

handi2, just to confirm when you say it faces the main gear I assume you are referring to the concave side facing the gear.

Tiddlerbasher

Yep - concave side should face the drag stack.