Penn 5500 sideplate removal trick?

Started by gstours, May 16, 2018, 03:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

I've tried to access the gears on a 4500 and a 5500 spinner and the sideplate will only lift up a quarter inch or so.  Is the bearing frozen in the frame?  I pulled by hand butt can it be driven out by removing the opposite side frame cap?  Any advice?   Thanks.

wailua boy

You may need to remove the eccentric shaft, if you havent already.

PacRat

I don't think you can remove the eccentric shaft with the sideplate in place. The sideplate to bearing and bearing to main gear are very tight fits. Be persistent, pull, twist and wiggle. A bit of penetrating oil around the bearings might help also. I haven't had to resort to this but temperature change might help. Try putting it in a very warm place like the dash of your truck and/or cold like your deepfreeze. Sometimes these expansion/contraction cycles will break the bond.
Good luck.

gstours

Okay thanks for the tip.  I'm not in a hurry,   I will try heat,  and prying more,  maybe tapping a punch on the shaft or and bearing from the opposite side.   🙅‍♂️

Shark Hunter

Gary,
You have a bearing stuck to the main gear shaft. Put it in the freezer for about 20 minutes and then tap the gear out from the non handle side.
Life is Good!