Painting a reel with Alumahyde

Started by Whit, May 16, 2018, 09:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

Anyone had luck painting reels with the Alumahyde from Brownells? 
Looks like it would be a bit tougher than your standard spray paint, especially on saltwater reels. 
I have a number of big old Mitchells and Penns to bring back to life.  Any feedback appreciated!

Whit

George6308

Use it all the time. Just finished two Penn 710's , one in semigloss black, the other in flat black. Semi-gloss matches the factory black.
Easy to use. Scuff up the original paint or remove paint completely. It does not need a primer. Follow  the instructions on the can. Purchase the extra nozzles including the one to blow out the feeder tube as they clog.
Brownell's also carries the white  paint to restore the Mitchell lettering.

kmstorm64

Thanks for the post on this, I have two cans at home waiting to be used up.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Marcq

Quote from: Whit on May 16, 2018, 09:23:13 PM
Anyone had luck painting reels with the Alumahyde from Brownells? 
Looks like it would be a bit tougher than your standard spray paint, especially on saltwater reels. 
I have a number of big old Mitchells and Penns to bring back to life.  Any feedback appreciated!

Whit

Even the standard spray paint can do the job if you leave it fully cured

Marc..

Midway Tommy

Quote from: George6308 on May 17, 2018, 12:19:51 AM
Use it all the time. Just finished two Penn 710's , one in semigloss black, the other in flat black. Semi-gloss matches the factory black.
Easy to use. Scuff up the original paint or remove paint completely. It does not need a primer. Follow  the instructions on the can. Purchase the extra nozzles including the one to blow out the feeder tube as they clog.
Brownell's also carries the white  paint to restore the Mitchell lettering.

If one looks closely at an original Mitchell reel, the engraving is not painted. They are simply engraved and what looks like white is the bright silver of the aluminum. One of the best ways to restore the etching is to use a sharp machinist's scribe to clean out the engraving.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

thorhammer

George6308

Here are three Penn's painted with Aluma-Hyde II: 704 in gloss black and a 710 Greenie refinished in flat black and regeared with 712 gears.

George6308

710Z refinished in gloss black.

George6308

Family photo. The Alumin-Hyde holds up very well when exposed to salt water.

thorhammer

I'm sold. Like errybody else I have a box of Mitchells and Spinfishers needing a facelift but working fine.

xjchad

It sure looks nice!
How durable is it?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

George6308

Very durable. I have my son's 710 broken down for a touch up  repaint. I gave him the reel when he was a teenager he's now 46. It was finished with Aluma-Hyde maybe 25 years ago when the factory finish peeled off. It has been fished very hard but only sustained minor corrosion on the edge of the rotor cup under the finish. Light sanding of the spots to the bare aluminum, touch up coat, and it will be ready for 25 plus more years. Only miss use can kill the older Penn's.
The black finish you see is the original Alumin-Hyde. The 1/4-20 bolts hold the parts so they can be painted in one pass.

steelfish

seems legit

I have some reels that could use some aluma-hyde II
The Baja Guy

George6308

Here is a Penn 10-49 star that was refinished with Aluma-Hyde. To avoid scratches a Penn 60-712 washer will be used between the handle and the face of the star.

Navidad Nutcase

I have an old Penn 80 international that someone did a terrible blue paint job on. It's peeling off. If I used paint and varnish stripper to get rid of the rest of the blue, would it hurt the aluminum under this blue paint ? most but not all the original gold under it is gone already.

Then I can have a snazzy black Alumin- hyde international. ;D
thanks for any input.
Greg
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.