Coloromic 209 Rags to Riches

Started by mo65, May 27, 2018, 07:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Great work as usual Mo. Funny how you compared it to a Chevy. Sometimes my 2/0 reminds me of a Harley. Must be all the chrome.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Maxed Out

Sweet reel Mo. Looking at the shine on those plates, I'd say that reel was never abused, just lightly used and possibly put away damp

About 10 years ago I got into the green Penns and did this exact rebuild to (23) 209's, and several green #9 and 109's. I always doubled my money no problem. These plates are prone to cracks and chipping, so always watch out for that on these greenies from the 50's
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on May 28, 2018, 10:18:15 PM

Sweet reel Mo. Looking at the shine on those plates, I'd say that reel was never abused, just lightly used and possibly put away damp

About 10 years ago I got into the green Penns and did this exact rebuild to (23) 209's, and several green #9 and 109's. I always doubled my money no problem. These plates are prone to cracks and chipping, so always watch out for that on these greenies from the 50's

I think the days of making money on these reels is coming to a close. I got really lucky on this one by getting that mint donor so cheap. If you had to pay market prices for all the parts, you can buy one completed for the same money and save the headache.
   The shine on those plates is real too, there's no oil or armour all on them, they are dry. I looked the plates over real well in the eBay pics, and I knew there were no cracks, but I didn't see the shine until I unwrapped the reel. I think this reel was never stored in sunlight...that seems to be harder on plates than anything.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

bluefish69

Guys the Green 209 is Mo's reel not mine - I wish that I had the Green one. I just happened to do a Maroon 209 at the same time. I do not credit for Mo's reel.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.