Cortez Conversions Sqidder 146

Started by Reel 224, May 16, 2018, 10:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I got the handle mod all finished on the CC Squidder. The bent star aligns with the offset handle really well, and the cork knobs match the rod cork excellent. After some dremel work and a little needle filing I got the handle hole to fit a Penn gear sleeve good and tight. Not sure what to do about the lock screw yet, maybe someone has an idea for that. This handle will be the bees knees for bass and musky fishing, and I may even take this combo along for the Virginia Beach trip my brother and I are doing next week. Now I have to get another CC Squidder to house the power handle I took off! ;D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

Nice work Moe, pretty slick set up with the star. Let's us know how it fishes with that handle.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

STRIPER LOU

Sweet mo!  That will make short work of those long toothy critters.

If you have an standard Penn wrench around, you can cut it  in a tear drop shape and drill a hole at the proper location. The only draw back is you'll have to paint it.

At least its a way out for your locking problem.

...............Lou

Bill B

Lovin it brother.....for the lock screw will the nut cover for a abu or newer penn work?  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Reel 224

MO: That is a nice looking setup! You really made that reel your own, nice job!

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mhc

Nice work Mo, it looks great - do you think the Revo handle and bent star would clear the bearing cap on a Mag 10? I'm thinking probably not - there isn't much room between the stock star and the bearing cap.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mo65

Quote from: mhc on June 01, 2018, 09:54:25 AM
Nice work Mo, it looks great - do you think the Revo handle and bent star would clear the bearing cap on a Mag 10? I'm thinking probably not - there isn't much room between the stock star and the bearing cap.

Mike

NO Mike...it will NOT clear the bearing cap! I've already tried this on the Mag 10 and it was a bust. What will work though...is a "straight" double paddled handle.

Thanks fellas for the screw lock ideas. Here's a link to a cheap handle that includes the screw and lock ring.(BTW Mike, this is a straight handle)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/130mm-smooth-handle-knob-fishing-bait-casting-fishing-crank/183189171081?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I'm thinking a guy could trim one of those ABU type locks to fit into a slot on the Penn screw, not sure it would actually hold the screw from backing out. To be 100% honest, there is no way this screw is backing out, it fits very tight to the carbon fiber handle blade. Anything I do with the locking setup will be mostly just for looks.

I want to thank Joe for letting us jabber about all this on his thread. I was going to post this handle thing on my own CC Squider post but it started here...and Joe asked to see the results...I just figured this was the place to keep it. 8)

mhc

Oops, sorry Joe I lost track of which thread we were on. Your set up looks great as well, it's set up a bit heavier than Mo's, with the custom acid wrapped rod and Alan C knob - the two sets show how versatile Tom's classic squidder kits are.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mo65

Quote from: mhc on June 01, 2018, 02:26:49 PM
Joe's set up looks great as well, it's set up a bit heavier than Mo's, with the custom acid wrapped rod and Alan C knob - the two sets show how versatile Tom's classic squidder kits are.

Yes sir...his set up rocks...I also had mine set up like that with the Alan C. knob and it was tops for stripers or catfishing. This CC Squidder really is versatile. That's why I said I'll need another one, I hate to give up that killer catfishin' set up, but I wanted to try this lure casting set up too. Now the biggest problem I face is scraping up the dough for another kit...don't sell 'em all too soon Tom! 8)

Reel 224

Quote from: mhc on June 01, 2018, 02:26:49 PM
Oops, sorry Joe I lost track of which thread we were on. Your set up looks great as well, it's set up a bit heavier than Mo's, with the custom acid wrapped rod and Alan C knob - the two sets show how versatile Tom's classic squidder kits are.

Mike

I'm not offended by anyone for posting something that is about the same subject,as you have stated Mo and I have different setups for the same stile reel which people can view and learn about different stiles.

And yes I did ask Mo to show me how the 146 turned out and I love the look. I don't mean to get serious about posting, but if one closes his mind to others ideas then no one will get benefit. This site is all about learning about reels and possibility's that you can build.

Joe    
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

RUSTY OLD COLT

Great looking handle it really makes the reel stand out , I wonder if three se7ens might make a run of the bent back stars if there is enough interest .

handi2

Quote from: mo65 on June 01, 2018, 12:45:14 PM
Quote from: mhc on June 01, 2018, 09:54:25 AM

Mike

NO Mike...it will NOT clear the bearing cap! I've already tried this on the Mag 10 and it was a bust. What will work though...is a "straight" double paddled handle.

Thanks fellas for the screw lock ideas. Here's a link to a cheap handle that includes the screw and lock ring.(BTW Mike, this is a straight handle)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/130mm-smooth-handle-knob-fishing-bait-casting-fishing-crank/183189171081?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I'm thinking a guy could trim one of those ABU type locks to fit into a slot on the Penn screw, not sure it would actually hold the screw from backing out. To be 100% honest, there is no way this screw is backing out, it fits very tight to the carbon fiber handle blade. Anything I do with the locking setup will be mostly just for looks.

I want to thank Joe for letting us jabber about all this on his thread. I was going to post this handle thing on my own CC Squider post but it started here...and Joe asked to see the results...I just figured this was the place to keep it. 8)

Ive bought plenty of those handles from China. They have all different styles and sizes. A bunch of surf fishing guys use the longer handle on their Ambassaduer reels.

Those Squidders look very nice. Especially the narrow ones like shown.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rivverrat

Quote from: Reel 224 on June 01, 2018, 04:13:41 AM
MO: That is a nice looking setup! You really made that reel your own, nice job!

Joe
It really does look nice. Joe I like the handle you put on your rod shown earlier here... Jeff