Cortez Conversions Sqidder 146

Started by Reel 224, May 16, 2018, 10:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

I just finished my cortez conversions sqidder 146 this afternoon. With stock gears and cortez gear sleeve and star. my own drag washers with stock medal washers. Tiburon spool and stock handle from Mystic Reel parts.

I had to alter the upper bridge screws to fit the counter sink holes that were in the crank side of the side plate, no problem thought a simple dressing down the screw head to fit. The rest of the kit was superb and works like a dream. You have to use the spacer on the tib spool like instructed on the clicker side.

Here are a few pictures the compare the 140 squidder to the 146.

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

steelfish

thats a beauty Joe, congrats, now get some fish

The Baja Guy

Maxed Out

Nicely done Joe

Cortez Conversions now carries matching shift levers that fit your squidder. A steal @$15
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

David Hall

STRIPER LOU

Looks great Joe! Very nice. The new shift lever compliments it perfectly.

Wish Tom would make one in purple.

..............Lou

festus

Very nice.  How does it compare weight wise with a stock 146?

Reel 224

Quote from: Maxed Out on May 16, 2018, 11:01:45 PM

Nicely done Joe

Cortez Conversions now carries matching shift levers that fit your squidder. A steal @$15

I have ordered one on your suggestion and as soon as it comes I will change it over, very nice compact reel. I was going fishing tonight but the weather is bad Rain on cold it dropped 30deg from yesterday. flooding and rain all this week, much lighting last night. I don't want to be on the water when it's that bad holding a composite rod with lighting. I will be fishing that reel when I get a brake in the weather. Maybe tomorrow If it breaks. Blues and Bass are in feeding on sand eels and peanut bunker.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Reel 224

Quote from: festus on May 16, 2018, 11:37:15 PM

Light in hand and it's perfect for plug and live bait.

Joe

mo65

Quote from: Reel 224 on May 16, 2018, 11:44:42 PM
Quote from: festus on May 16, 2018, 11:37:15 PM

Light in hand and it's perfect for plug and live bait.

Joe

First off...she looks great Joe...I selected the ice blue for my CC Squidder too. I'd say with all the ss steel inside mine, and the power handle, it probably is as heavy as a stock Squidder, but with a smaller aluminum handle it could be used for freshwater fishing. Bass or musky casting easily. I'm considering trying to mod an ABU Garcia double paddle...like off a Revo...it would be awesome. Currently mine is set up for catfishing, but a reel that casts so good, it almost seems a waste to be drowning bait on it. I'd say not owning one of these reels is missing out...big time! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

I've fished mine a few times, I use 20lb mono so it's stock inside. Great free spool, so much smother casting, just a flick of the rod get's it going. Using just a small hook and a live anchovy, great for flying small live baits without jerking it off the hook, Might be good for pitching a live frog into a bush for a wary bass..
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Reel 224

Mo: I fish salt all year and bait is important for a lot of fishing and plugs too, I have not tried the reel yet on plug or bait. It feels very good on the rod I have built so I have to see how it works on a med rod. I have another stick that is lighter on the rod bench but that is not ready yet, Ruth wants me to finish a 7' light rod first so she is first ;) :D I am just the guy who supply's the equipment ;D.

It's a very nice reel I hope it works out for my style of fishing.

Joe   

mo65

Quote from: Reel 224 on May 17, 2018, 03:42:15 AM
Mo: I fish salt all year and bait is important for a lot of fishing and plugs too, I have not tried the reel yet on plug or bait. It feels very good on the rod I have built so I have to see how it works on a med rod.   

I put the reel on a 7ft. med/hvy inshore rod...it casts a 1 1/2oz. plug like a champ. I'll have to honestly say it's the best casting Penn...or Penn type reel I ever swung. Tom has made a precision piece...I just plain love the reel! 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Cortez_Conversions

Good work guys, Thanks for posting!
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Reel 224

Mike: That is similar to my rod so it should be great for me, still raining here but I'LL get out soon.

Tom: you have made a fine reel easy to work with and very smooth.

I have to thank Randy from Vintage offshore fer the great gears he sent to fit the 146 Randy was gracious in N/C for the gears and all the innards. 

Joe