Cortez Conversions Sqidder 146

Started by Reel 224, May 16, 2018, 10:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Made a few alterations on my Sqidder 146. I changed the shiftier to the Cortez Conversions black one also changed the crank arm and knob, added the reel mounted on my custom rod. Here are a few pictures.

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Benni3

Maxed Out

Those knobs are perfect match for a squidder. I like using stock Penn blades for those too. It's makes for a nice combination
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

xjchad

Beautiful combination Joe!!  8)
Where is that knob from?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Reel 224

Quote from: xjchad on May 18, 2018, 08:13:20 PM
Where is that knob from?

From Pro Challenger Alan Chu. The first batch he sold.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

xjchad

Quote from: Reel 224 on May 18, 2018, 10:18:50 PM
Quote from: xjchad on May 18, 2018, 08:13:20 PM
Where is that knob from?

From Pro Challenger Alan Chu. The first batch he sold.

Joe

Ah, thanks!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on May 18, 2018, 07:58:11 PM

Those knobs are perfect match for a squidder.

I agree...they rock on the Mag 10 and 210 also. Lookin' sweet Joe! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Reel 224

Quote from: mo65 on May 18, 2018, 11:32:38 PM
Quote from: Maxed Out on May 18, 2018, 07:58:11 PM

Those knobs are perfect match for a squidder.

I agree...they rock on the Mag 10 and 210 also. Lookin' sweet Joe! 8)

Mike: I got the idea from your reel and I had one on a 60 reel that I haven't used and the crank arm was just a spare so I hooked up with the better looking handle. ;) ;D. So thank's for the idea.

Joe

mo65

Joe,
   I have another idea I'm kicking around, and I figured your post here about the CC Squidder would be a good place to mention it. I want to try bass fishing with my 146, and I don't mean stripers. I'm talkin' large mouth bass, casting little lures all day, and needing a handle for such. I've found many handles on fleabay I can dremel the handle hole a bit and they will slip right on a Penn gear sleeve, but the "bent" drag star is another story. As far as I can tell...nobody is making these. I picked out a few rough stars from my parts crypt to sacrifice for science. Turns out modding them was easier than I figured on. I was worried the chrome may flake, but it seemed to bend just fine! The photos shows my bent star on top of an ABU Garcia Revo Rocket handle, and it looks like it should clear the CC side plate too. I won't really know until I bend the fine thread #10-505 star the reel requires, all my test dummies were the normal thread #10-60s. I'm waiting on a few handles to arrive from Hong Kong and I'll report later. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

STRIPER LOU

Nice work mo! Your getting pretty darn creative.

I have a couple of 3 piece dies I made for doing that on Adams stars. The .125 thick SS bends no where near as easy as the stock one's though and I end up bumping it in a 40 ton press.

Keep at it Bud!

...........Lou

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

conchydong

I thought about hot rodding my Squidder 140L but decided on just servicing it and upgrading the drags and handle as I will never use it beyond 20 lb. test. I rarely surf fish but when I do it is generally for Pompano, Spanish Mackerels and small Bluefish. The stock Squidder is more than enough for these fish and it is not like there is such a hot and heavy bight that I would get worn out winding super fast with the slow gears. After all, these fish aren't big.

Reel 224

Mike: That looks darn nice I really want to see that setup, so when you get finished take pictures.

conch: that sqidder is good enough to fight Stipers up to 50lb so I would not worry about that.

Joe

steelfish

Quote from: mo65 on May 21, 2018, 07:16:56 PM
Joe,
.......but the "bent" drag star is another story. As far as I can tell...nobody is making these. I picked out a few rough stars from my parts crypt to sacrifice for science. Turns out modding them was easier than I figured on. .......

I had to the same on star of calcutta 400TE when I installed a different handle, the star bent easily with the help of some tools and stayed firm after I bent the points of the star
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17967.0

now it looks like one of those lowprofile highend reels  8)
The Baja Guy

Reel 224