P-Line Floroclear vs Seguar

Started by Desert Guy, May 01, 2018, 12:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Guy

I have use the P-Line for a few years and really like. Anyone else use it or can compare it to Seguar. I have been using #20 on a Calcutta 250 for Redfish with great results and actually thought about going to 15# with this reel.
Casts great and really holds up with no noticeable deterioration even after a season or two. It is so clear that at times it is very hard to see when fighting a fish, which might be the only thing I don't like about it.

Swami805

Last year I ran out of seaguar 20LB and bought some p-line as that's all that was in the tackle store at the landing. Worked great for a 4' top shot flyling sardines. About the same price I think about $12 for 25yds. Tied a nice knot and held up well to several fish. Not scientific in the least but I'd buy it again.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

check out alan chui's line of fluorocarbon.  it's great stuff!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swami805

X2, I bought some and very happy with it. Only thing is do you use floro-clear to fill the whole reel or is it just for leader material like the real high end stuff that comes in small spools. If so I've never tried it but I like P-Line OK but mostly use Ande.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Desert Guy

I fill the whole reel, Calcutta 250.

Benni3

I use seaguar grand max fx 18.5lb tippet,,but thay stopped making it  >:(,,,and tatsu 20lb.015 dia not as good,,,so I want to go with seaguar grand max tippet x1 14.5lb .010 dia "new stock" i got some old stock florocarben and it broke>:( like 2lb,,,so I use braid or mono main line  ;D

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Desert Guy on May 01, 2018, 12:50:02 AM
I have use the P-Line for a few years and really like. Anyone else use it or can compare it to Seguar. I have been using #20 on a Calcutta 250 for Redfish with great results and actually thought about going to 15# with this reel.
Casts great and really holds up with no noticeable deterioration even after a season or two. It is so clear that at times it is very hard to see when fighting a fish, which might be the only thing I don't like about it.

It sounds like your running a long topshot of fluoro it that correct? If so you may want to try a co-polymer (fluoro-mono) mixed line like Izorline XXX.

For me 100% fluorocarbon is a stiff line and not the best for casting. The Triple X as it is much more soft, supple and lays on the spool much better without getting as much of a coil in the line between fishing trips than 100% fluoro. All lines will get this but a fluoro/mono line will absorb water quicker than a 100% fluoro and doing so will come off the reel smoother, faster IMO.

I worked on a tackle shop for a couple of years here in So Cal and got to try many brands of lines from most of the top named suppliers and even some from the not so well known. I have been fishing Izorline XXX for 13-14 years now and like it a lot and I fish it up to 80 lb test.

IMO you should buy a 1/4 lb spool of this line and give it a shot. I think you will be impressed, I know I was. Then if needed add 3-5' piece of your favorite 100% fluorocarbon on top.

This is what I do and the 100% fluorocarbon leader I use is Seaguar Premier. The Premier line breaks very close to it's rating so it is thinner than most fluoro lines in the same rating, so just beware of that. 

Desert Guy

The floroclear is a copolymer. I caught the fish in my avatar the first time I used it. I have used it for a few years in 4 and 6 pound test on ultralights for trout and it holds up well.
The 20# I have on my reel now has been on it for almost a year and has no memory. I will change it next month before my trip to the gulf. The 20# is 0.16 and is a bit overkill since the Calcutta I believe only has 13 #'s of drag. The knots hold up well and it casts great, the only hard part to get used to is it is hard to see when fighting a fish because it is so clear. But they do make a high viz line which I have used in 6#.