Which Ball Bearing Swivel

Started by Gobi King, May 17, 2018, 12:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

I am in the process of tying some leaders for very large spinners for musky trolling in the St Claires.

Which ball bearing swivels should I go for? 50 lb - 100 lbs rated one should be perfectly fine for my needs. Though I am using them in fresh water, I would prefer a salt water rated one,

Which ball bearing swivel do you guys use?
How often should I plan on changing them?
Should I pre-lube them with some tsi 321?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Swami805

I use those Sampos, never thought about lubing them. A bit pricey though
Do what you can with that you have where you are

handi2

Sampo invented the ball bearing swivel. That's all i use up to 300lb test.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

STRIPER LOU

My vote for Sampo too. I have never had a failure using their swivels.

............Lou

SoCalAngler

Another option I use other than Sampo is Spro. Both seem to hold up the same.

theswimmer

Up until April 1st I would have said Owner.
I had what was probably a 20-25 lb Lingcod about halfway up to the boat when he decided to take off. Pulled for about 15 secs and then slack line.
The swivel welded ring had failed. This was with a Shimano TLD 15/30 spooled with Ande 40 lb.
Swivel was an Owner American BB 100 lb.
I used to use Spro and I think I am going to switch back.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Gobi King

So we are down to:

sampo
spro

both make welded swivels in the size I want.

sampo - I could only find them in 3 per pack at $2 a swivel
spro - I found them (fishusa) in 12 per pack at bit less than $2

I read on sampo's website that if you are lure manufacturer you can buy in bulk but you cannot resell them as sampo.

I bought couple of dozen sampo off amazon,
and I am going to buy some spro off fishusa next time they have a dollar off coupon

Question:
PV Tuna - what do you guys use for terminal tackle for those PV tunas?
Fichigan

STRIPER LOU

Agree with SoCal too on the Spro. I use their small 130lb barrel swivels and no problems.

Usually some good deals to be found on ebay for them.

..............Lou

philaroman

ROSCO is same as SAMPO & come in 12-packs (used to?)

MarkT

In PV, or anywhere else, you just tie the hook to the end of the line.  Hook tied to leader tied to spectra. Although it could be the leader connected to spectra rather than tied.

I'll be out for a 2 1/2 day trip over Memorial Day weekend.  I'll have mono topshots on my 20/30/40/60# rigs.  For bait I'll have a few feet of fluoro attached with a triple surgeons knot. For flatfalls there'll be some hardware tied to the mono on my 60# rig... a swivel crimped to heavy fluoro crimped to a solid ring that's attached to the flatfall with a split ring.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

For the tuna in PV it would be a good idea to check with the skipper of the boat your going on. Some fish differently than others so they might have specific things they recommend. Might have everything you need on the boat too. Also might be some stuff they need from the states you could bring them.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

MarkT

For Tuna, I usually use ringed hooks and I've seen really big hooks for chunking with swivels directly attached so the chunk can look more natural in the drift. Other than that, no hardware.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gobi King

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on May 18, 2018, 01:44:23 PM
Agree with SoCal too on the Spro. I use their small 130lb barrel swivels and no problems.

Usually some good deals to be found on ebay for them.

..............Lou

ebay ones are real? I hear too many fake items horror stories on ebay.
Fichigan

Gobi King

Quote from: philaroman on May 18, 2018, 03:18:44 PM
ROSCO is same as SAMPO & come in 12-packs (used to?)

ok, did not know that, I will look rosco thanks,
Fichigan