Screwdriver Recommendation

Started by festus, May 03, 2018, 06:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Can anyone please recommend a screwdriver to remove part no. 100-366, bearing screw, from Quick spinning reels.  None of my screwdrivers have wide or thick enough blades for this.  I often use a coin, a nickel or a quarter but sometimes these screws are too tight for that. Boogered a couple of screws already and don't want to do it again. No stores in my area carry anything sufficient or I just haven't looked at the right place..

George6308

Try Brownel's or Wheeler (Midway) screw bits.

foakes

The problems with those bail screws, like on many spinners —are (2).

They are a wide width slot —

Plus they are chromed-over brass.  So even the proper width screwdriver blade runs the risk of goobering the slot — since any screwdriver is of much harder metal than these screws.

I have just used an old spare Penn wrench that I square-ground the tip on — never any damage and the file handle is just a buck or less.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Yeah, yer best option might be to grind yerself a tool.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

I like Fred's solution. Another Quick screw that gives me fits are the tiny ones that hold the bearing retainer on. Those are so easy to ruin. I goobered them so bad on my little Microlite I was ashamed to show them...had to edit out that photo...HA!! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Those little screws used to be tough for me also, Mike —

But around 20 years ago, an old timer showed me his secret —

Right size hollow ground screwdriver

Grease the head of the driver to hold the screw

Always start the screw "backwards" until you feel the click of the threads aligned properly with threaded hole

Then, using your fingers of one hand close to the blade, and your other hand to apply proper positive pressure to the screw — just fasten it in place

Wipe off the screw heads when done

One of my favorite uncles was a watchmaker for over 40 years — Proctors Jewelers in Fresno.  When I would see him service or repair a Rolex or Accutron with 3 times the parts we have in our reels — and 10 times smaller — it was amazing.

The 3 "P's" — proper screwdriver, precise placement before rotating, patience with confidence.

We all know this —but it is easy to over drive our headlights sometimes.

Just IMO.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Most of the bail screws I come across were designed to be removed with the circumference arch of the wrench they provided with the reel or a coin of varying thicknesses. I didn't like using either so right off the bat I decided to convert a thick and a thin bladed screwdriver to accomplish the task. I used the wide bladed stubby screwdrivers, filed the blades down to the appropriate thicknesses for wide and narrow slots, filed the blade on an arch to fit the recessed curve and then filed both wide faces flat for the first 3/8" so they no long have a taper that will bugger the slots. They work perfectly, and because they're stubbies, you can really put a lot of palm pressure against the screw to remove tight or corroded ones without the screwdriver slipping off. The two things I see as most important are having the correct arch and not having any taper on the faces of the blade.     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handyandy

I've got some old big wide blade screw driver I always found myself using as a pry bar more than a screw driver due to the large blade was usually bigger than most flat blade screws. I like tommy just ground that one to fit most bail screws well.

steelfish

Quote from: George6308 on May 03, 2018, 11:29:58 AM
....... screw bits.

lots of screw bits, those have been the ticket for me

I have many bits on many sizes and thickness of flat tips, cross, philips, hex, metric, standar, etc. etc

the tool box for fixing reels is 3x bigger than the house DIY tool box but we need to consider that Im not a house DIY handy-man, thats might be the reason.
The Baja Guy

swill88

Fred I like the 3P's.  Once I learned the 5P's.  It was in rehab.

Steve