IT`s a drag

Started by oldmanjoe, March 31, 2018, 09:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

Playing with the drags again another aluminium spool ,  cut the well from .430 down to .525
  Stock drag stack runs around .285 ish  , now is .420 ish .
Now have a 7 stack to test out.   

I am beginning to realize there is no such a thing as a Dam parts reel .  I did not take a picture of this dirty rat ,but it sure did clean up nice.    joe   
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

How do you think the brass washers will hold up in comparison to SS since they're so much softer?
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

Tom   I don`t think the stock washers are ss , they have a chrome  like finish on them , but i believe they are hard brass .
    I am going to put up a picture of  washers that i did a few strokes on sand paper just to show how cupped the washer is from being punched out originally.
    They go from shiny to brass color pretty quick.  The stock washers are .060     I am cutting .030 hard brass , with more washers in the stack i think i have more shear resistance on the keys in total .     I am looking for the low smooth long run drag , not the lock up pull me out of the boat drag.     

The third pic is the same stock washers sanded down , There is a hint of copper on one of them .      copper plated for chroming ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oc1

handyandy

I sanded down a set of my original super drag washers in one of my spools and as joe said they're brass that was chrome plated. I'm anxiously awaiting the drag set from three sevens is making for these reels. How did you go about making the hole in the spool deeper to fit the larger drag stack?

oldmanjoe

I have cut 2 spools .    1 i did just with the Dremel    Second one i use a lath but still cleaned it up with the Dremel .
  Bitts are little end mill to cut the key slot down and the floor  I finish with a wet stone  cutting oil to keep from clogging

handyandy

Might have to give it a shot on one of mine got a buddy with a lath not sure I trust my self dremeling the thing other than finishing off rough edges. Would be worried I wouldn't get it the most square. Would be curious to know what kind of drag numbers you get out of it with that big of a drag stack.

oldmanjoe

I don`t get caught up drag numbers .  I want a smooth drag , no "compression strokes"   

oldmanjoe

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on March 31, 2018, 09:34:17 PM
Can't wait to see those reels in action
It sung but never smoked

ReelFishingProblems

That is quite the haul! Love it.
Nice work on that reel

handyandy

I'm anxiously awaiting for some of the ss and carbon fiber drag stacks from motiv fabrication for my supers.