Saltist 20H

Started by Scattergun2570, May 20, 2018, 05:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

It looks like you're well underway and (Edit: I'M sorry I ment YOU have) done a good job there.  In the saltist 20h there should be two bearings that support the spool. In the schematic for that reell the key numbers should be number 10 and number 3, those are the bearings that support the spool on the left and right side.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: SoCalAngler on May 23, 2018, 04:27:21 AM
It looks like you're well underway and I've done a good job there.  In the saltist 20h there should be two bearings that support the spool. In the schematic for that reell the key numbers should be number 10 and number 3, those are the bearings that support the spool on the left and right side.

Well #3 is the one that was making an unpleasant noise,,the TSI cleared that up quick..I don't know why I thought it was a pinion bearing,,,but what does #41 bushing do?

SoCalAngler

That bushing acts like a pinion bearing. I replaced that bushing in my BG 20H with a bearing and the effect on freespool was minimal in my reel. I am up 33-34 seconds of freespool in this reel after a couple more tweeks and that is plenty for my needs.

Here is a thread on that change out.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9793.0

didka

Hi,
I just inherited an older (silver) Daiwa saltist 20H and am wonder what is the max drag can I expect from it?  With clamping it down (tight), I can only get 5#. It did not seem right to me. At initial visual inspection, all drag washers seem intact as new. Bearings did not make any unusual noise, free spool has seen a better day. What do I miss out? please help. Thanks

alantani

Vein-popping tight? Maybe 15 pounds.  The reel would be happier at 10 pounds.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

I fish my BG 20H a 8 lbs of drag with 25 lb test. It seems to like this setting. When I go over the 8 lbs the drag gets jerky even though I had the stock drags greased with Cal's. I even replaced the stock drags with CarbonTex and greased with Cal's and the reel still got jerky at around 9-10 lbs of drag.

5 lbs does not sound right at all. Make sure the drag stack is in the correct order.

didka

Yes, I can only get 5# with vein-popping tight. I will look for the schematic to make sure the drag stack is in correct order. Thanks again.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: didka on August 11, 2019, 04:44:17 AM
Yes, I can only get 5# with vein-popping tight. I will look for the schematic to make sure the drag stack is in correct order. Thanks again.

Here is the schematic.
http://schematics.mikesreelrepair.com/albums/userpics/10001/STT20H-30H.pdf

Make sure starting from inside the main gear going out to the top is like this.
1. fiberwasher
2. keyed metal washer
3. fiberwasher
4. eared metal washer
5. fiber washer
6. keyed metal washer.

I don't know about the Saltist you have but on my Saltist BG the last keyed washer, #6 I mentioned, is thicker and has a bit of a domed shape. If your reel is like this make sure the flat side is down against the last fiber washer and the domed part is on top. I see from the schematic it has a different part number than the other keyed washer so this may be the case?

Also when putting on the side plate the drag stack can shift a bit and the eared washer can move out if the slot in the main gear. This can happen with many star drag reels just not Diawa's so just watch out for this.  

If the drag stack looks right make sure all the other parts needed for drag are in the reel. Key numbers 38, 40 which is the anti reverse bearing and should be in the side plate and not really part of the drag stack, 50, 51, 52 two of these, 53 and 66 which make the clicking when the star drag is turned.