2 piece 10' surf rod

Started by Shark Hunter, May 20, 2018, 06:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I just got back from my two week Vacation in Florida and had a Blast.
My son Mike, Robin and myself only caught three fish, but they were nice and I have to admit, it is more than I usually catch.
I always try to go big. Kayaking Baits on a 14 and 12/0.
This involves lots of gear. The Kayak alone is a 60lb trip back and forth to the beach.
The big reels are like Cinder Blocks on handles.
Two of the three fish were caught on surf rods.
No multiple trips to the beach. Just a chair, Surf Rod, Cooler and bait, with a few tools.
5' Blacktip Sharks and a Nice Bull red that was at least 30" long.
The way those fish peeled the drag off those big spinners was really exciting!
I thought the rod was going to break.
Three trips to the beach with the Kayak yielded one Shark. A 6' Tiger.
Anyone know of a good two piece surf rod, 10' in length that is off the shelf that doesn't cost a fortune?
My current setup is a Battle 2 8000 with a 10' Graphite two piece rod.
I know the rod isn't going to last. I have lots of Big Spinners. Fin Nor, Penn ss, and Battles.
Life is Good!

xjchad

Daron,
I love my Penn Prevail!
2 piece, 12' heavy model rated 6-12 oz.  I throw an 8 oz. Sputnick and large chunk of Mac or ray 60-80 yards.
I landed batrays over 100 lbs. And sevengills to 9' with it. Plenty of back bone and it's a perfect match for my 9500SS. And as a bonus, they can be had for around$100.
http://www.pennfishing.com/penn-rods-spinning-rods-penn-prevail/penn-prevail-surf-spinning/1363866.html#specifications
Husband, Father, Fisherman

1badf350

I like the Penn Battalion rods. I have a couple 12' for drum fishing in OBX.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

cwillis85

Also a fan of the Prevail, I have picked up 4 or more from Wally world on clearance for $25. I have never felt like quality wasn't there to fight any fish I have hooked.
Chris

Shark Hunter

That is the same rod my Son Uses.
Sounds like a prevail is in my future.
I would buy several at $25. ;)
Life is Good!

philaroman

good ole' Ugly BWS may be worth consideration, while they're still around...
the new ones are not Howald blanks w/ Fuji guides/seats, which I know & trust
don't know the new "Ugly Tuff" blanks/components, but suspect it's cost-cutting
to remain in the same price bracket, rather than innovation/improvement

Rivverrat

Darin, always love seeing this. It is absolutely great to hear of you having a very enjoyable trip.

On another note while I know its hard sometimes to do things a certain way when family is there. How you are approaching these trips is evolving. Keep posting about this regarding your gear & your lay out once at-the beach.

My approach to fishing the river works extremely well in Texas on the beach. This in no way means my way will work for you or any one else.

One thing, after some time  I came to realize having my hands as empty as possible while on foot to my spot usually meant a little less hassle & that I was organized.  This may not hold the same same level of importance at the beach as it does busting through the Kansas under brush. I also found my military or hiking packs an essential part of my fishing. Even when traveling short distances from the truck.

I can pack up everything from all lines out to being reeled up & ready to go to another spot in less than 15 min. This includes tent, food, bait & anything else needed for 4-7 days or more fishing / camping on the sand.

Anywhooo.... keep posting your ideas & the changes your making to fishing the beach that work best for you & your situation... Jeff

philaroman

X2 on a good, big, ex-frame backpack
I do OK w/ old, US-made Kelty Super Tioga's (you can find 'em dirt-cheap)
I'd guess a MOLLE/hunting/lumberjack pack would be better,
because the frame/harness is independent & you attach whatever you need for the day(s)

Shark Hunter

I just know, the way I seek my Monster involves at least 4 trips to the beach with all the gear.
This is with two people. Then there is the risk of the gear getting taken, which is my biggest concern.
Whether it is on the taking to, or destination, my eyes can't be everywhere.
The place I stay is pretty friendly, but I trust no one.
Paranoia is a state of mind when I can't be watching my valuables.
It is engrained in me and I can't help it.
I can only trust the people I know.
It is Human Nature.
I don't care what it is, or what it involves. If you dig deep enough, you will find corruption.
Not on my watch. ;)
Life is Good!

oc1

Chile/John had a thread a few days ago about pier fishing in Alabama.  There were photos of some really nice carts.  We used to make contraptions called jetty carts because it was such a long walk out, but used large diameter wheels (bicycle size) so they would go over irregularities in the rocks.  You can buy beach carts made for sand.
https://phoenixbeachbuggys.com/
-steve

Swami805

The dedicated pier rats here have those aluminum carts they sell from bass pro. I don't think they'll handle very rocky terrian though. I think there's also a attachment for kayaks that goes thru the scupper holes with bicycle tires. Lash your gear to the kayak, a good back pack, might cut it to one trip. Don't know who makes them but I've seen kayakers using them here and they look pretty sturdy. Might be worth a look
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shark Hunter

My Destination is over a walkway to the sand with multiple steps.
The cart is not what I want.
It might come into play at some point, but it can't carry big rods.
I'm close enough to the beach, that I can bring my bait and rods as needed.
Life is Good!

philaroman

can you get blocks of ice?
one replaces MANY bags & saves space/weight

Rivverrat

Quote from: Caranx on May 21, 2018, 11:40:42 AM
Did you ever try the dual wheeled wheel barrow used for transporting cement?
It holds a lot of stuff, goes over sand and pretty cheap.

I've leased one of these for getting logs out doing tree removals.
It had a gas motor & would go up & down stairs... Jeff

CapeFish

If you are bait fishing, why not get a longer rod, say 12 or 13ft in 3 piece?  Something that can handle a 3-5 oz sinker? It will allow you to fish further out creating more opportunities.