2 piece 10' surf rod

Started by Shark Hunter, May 20, 2018, 06:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I'm going to just that. 2 piece 12 footer that can handle at least 6 oz.
I have an Ugly stick, but I can't cast it very well. The tip is too soft.
There are lots of options out there.
I'm not bait fishing though, I have enough friends now that provide it for me.
Big spinning Tackle has come a long way.
Especially in rod technology.
Life is Good!

*thomas*

Quote from: 1badf350 on May 20, 2018, 11:13:33 AM
I like the Penn Battalion rods. I have a couple 12' for drum fishing in OBX.

+1 On the Battalion

A friend of mine who fishes the S-Caroline beaches uses them for Blacktips. He caught a nice 4ft'er on one of our trips and the rod could handle more...

An other fishing buddy who fishes San Sebastian uses an Ocean Master and that rod is in a class of it's own. I caught a 9ft tiger on it last year, rod was mated to - the much discussed - Penn SSV 10500 and the drag was on lockdown.

BTW, on that occasion, we yaked the baits out, plenty of line on those SSV spinners.

BEWARE !!! Daiwa has relaunched the Ocean Master, but I've heard reports that they break, even when casting bait out...

Quote from: CapeFish on May 22, 2018, 07:14:02 AM
If you are bait fishing, why not get a longer rod, say 12 or 13ft in 3 piece?  Something that can handle a 3-5 oz sinker? It will allow you to fish further out creating more opportunities.

A 12 or 13 ft would be my first choice when fishing open beaches. It gives you that extra casting distance, thus, like stated above, will create more options.

Maybe it's even worth considering a three piece European rod. We mostly use 13 and 14ft three piece rods that cast around 8 oz and they are quite strong. Shimano has the Vengeance series f.i. .

Shark Hunter

Funny you mention Ocean Master Thomas.
That is going to be my next surf Rod.
They are all new this year. ;)
Life is Good!

1badf350

The Offshore Angler Ocean Master from Bass Pro is a nice rod, I would have recommended it but I thought you were wanting to stay lower on the budget. I have around 7 of the 12' casting models in both 3-6oz and 6-12oz. IMO they are under rated, meaning the 3-6oz loads very well with 8. The 6-12 is so stiff I cant load it with 8+bait, but then I am not a big guy.
The just came out with the new generation of these rods which I have no experience with yet. All mine are the last gen rods.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

thorhammer

Prevail is a good price for what you get. You are correct, the Ugly has its places and I have probably have a couple dozen for other things, but casting heavy baits long is not it. Way too spongy in the tip vs. the weight of the rod. 

In that size, I throw 12' with 4-12 or 6-16 weight ranges. In the 100-125$ range, the Prevail, Beachrunner, Tsunami all do well. The Tsunami and Beachrunner are my go to drum rods, and I have caught blacktips to 5-6 feet and rays over a hundred pounds on them. No issues on the rod; I throw 20lb test on them and pull as hard as line can stand. Your casting will be limited by your preference for mono though. I get the abrasion resistance on the bar, however, if it were me I'd throw 80 lb braid with a 60lb mono shock leader vs. trying to cast 40lb mono. 50lb would be a slinky, and I'd consider 80 braid and 30 mono equal on chafing and giv ethe knob to higher strentgth castability of the braid (diameter of 20 mono). Plus, you have a spare 9500SS spool on the way to rotate out if you get some wear.

Note, I'm using 980's, that's why I'm throwing 20 mono. At night, I'm throwing 9500SS and 850SS's set as I described. I dont get to do it enough to not make a huge mess with braid in the dark on a casting reel. My 0.02. 

CapeFish

Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 22, 2018, 07:33:40 AM

Sorry what I mean by bait fishing is that you are using baited hooks, not lures. Yes you need a beefy rod for a 6 oz, most casting problems come from using rods and reels not matched to the missile you want to launch

*thomas*

Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 22, 2018, 08:16:13 AM
Funny you mention Ocean Master Thomas.
That is going to be my next surf Rod.
They are all new this year. ;)

Yes, they are indeed new, but like I said, the reports I heard from them coming from shark fishermen were no good :( ...

festus

I seldom need anything that big, but when I do I use a 12' Offshore Angler PowerPlus from Bass Pro Shop.  Was $29.99 when I bought it about 10 years ago.  However this is only for throwing about 4 oz plus cut bait below dams in swift water.  Not something I'd use for artificials unless I was Shaq O'Neal.  ::)  It does me well, have thought about buying an Okuma Longitude but haven't felt the need for it.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/offshore-angler-power-plus-trophy-class-surf-spinning-rod   

Newell Nut

The penn carnage II is a good off the shelf one. Would be nice if you could get the Hawaiian model. They custom build them for the Hawaiian ulua fishermen and are built tough. I used one while I was there. Gave to my fishing buddy when I left.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: 1badf350 on May 22, 2018, 09:38:57 AM
The Offshore Angler Ocean Master from Bass Pro is a nice rod, I would have recommended it but I thought you were wanting to stay lower on the budget. I have around 7 of the 12' casting models in both 3-6oz and 6-12oz. IMO they are under rated, meaning the 3-6oz loads very well with 8. The 6-12 is so stiff I cant load it with 8+bait, but then I am not a big guy.
The just came out with the new generation of these rods which I have no experience with yet. All mine are the last gen rods.

They came out with the new Ocean Masters last Month. I couldn't find one anywhere.
The next run won't be available until Sept. and that is my next planned trip.
Bass Pro Customer Service gave me the phone numbers of only two stores that had them in stock.
Concord, NC and Foxborough Mass. The NC store answered my email first, so I gave them a call.
Since these aren't available online, I had to jump through a few hoops.
I've heard nothing but good things about these rods.
They are by no means Custom, but I think they pack a lot of bang for the buck.
I have a 10 and 12 footer on the way. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-sIh2GNzpw&feature=youtu.be
Life is Good!

Riy2018

Im also looking for a new Surf Casting Rod. I'have tried Ugly Big Water but it too bulky. I will use Penn 500 or Penn MAg Power 980.

was looking online to choose between St Croix Mojo Surf Casting 10`6 or Century (too much money).
What is the best for money and value.

Jeri

Quote from: CapeFish on May 22, 2018, 10:54:54 AM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 22, 2018, 07:33:40 AM

Sorry what I mean by bait fishing is that you are using baited hooks, not lures. Yes you need a beefy rod for a 6 oz, most casting problems come from using rods and reels not matched to the missile you want to launch

We'll get him converted eventually to 'southern African' style ................ ;D

He has just made the first step away from kayak and super heavy, and enjoyed the pleasures of proper surf fishing for sharks. Next step will be a butt pad, long 14' rod and reel at the bottom, launching 6oz+ sinkers and big meaty baits into the back gutter, or even wading .....................  :)

Shark Hunter

Whatever you Say Jeri.
I'm in it for one thing and one thing only.
I will be slinging baits until my arms fall off.
This can be done, but it will be Kentucky Style only. ;)
No Copying or Duplicating, My own way from my Own Trials, Reels and Equipment. ;D
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Riy2018 on April 01, 2019, 01:30:07 AM
Im also looking for a new Surf Casting Rod. I'have tried Ugly Big Water but it too bulky. I will use Penn 500 or Penn MAg Power 980.

was looking online to choose between St Croix Mojo Surf Casting 10`6 or Century (too much money).
What is the best for money and value.

Riley,
The New Ocean Master Surf Rods from Bass Pro are the best things going.
Get one of those and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Life is Good!

CapeFish

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 03, 2019, 06:04:58 AM
Whatever you Say Jeri.
I'm in it for one thing and one thing only.
I will be slinging baits until my arms fall off.
This can be done, but it will be Kentucky Style only. ;)
No Copying or Duplicating, My own way from my Own Trials, Reels and Equipment. ;D

what's wrong with copying or using what works? there's no patents on fishing styles and techniques, only more fun to be had  ;)