5.1 gear set

Started by mikeysm, May 20, 2018, 01:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

I think they should be smooth right out of the package. Why not?

316 SS is too soft.

I'll use one of them and see how it does. I did spool two of them and pulled drag at 15lbs. After pulling drag the gears were rough in one spot when turning the handle. The blue reel feels rough without being spooled.

There is a rough spot in all 3 when cranking with the reel in gear or out of gear.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Black Pearl

Quote from: handi2 on May 21, 2018, 06:31:56 PM
I think they should be smooth right out of the package. Why not?

316 SS is too soft.

I'll use one of them and see how it does. I did spool two of them and pulled drag at 15lbs. After pulling drag the gears were rough in one spot when turning the handle. The blue reel feels rough without being spooled.

There is a rough spot in all 3 when cranking with the reel in gear or out of gear.

What gear sets are those reel using? Can you post a picture of the gear set?

handi2

Sure Alan,

They are the hex gears.

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Keith, when you sent those reels to me, you claimed they had a rough spot.
I thought they felt pretty good when I got done, especially the blue one.
All reels will feel rough when out of gear, some a little more than others.
Well whatever your issue might be I'm sure It can be resolved.
I actually believe the hex gears  for the jigmaster and 113h are the best gears available today,
But that's just my opinion.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Black Pearl

Quote from: handi2 on May 21, 2018, 10:19:09 PM
Sure Alan,

They are the hex gears.

Keith

Keith

The hex (JM500X) gear set is 4:1.

handi2

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 21, 2018, 10:54:54 PM
Keith, when you sent those reels to me, you claimed they had a rough spot.
I thought they felt pretty good when I got done, especially the blue one.
All reels will feel rough when out of gear, some a little more than others.
Well whatever your issue might be I'm sure It can be resolved.
I actually believe the hex gears  for the jigmaster and 113h are the best gears available today,
But that's just my opinion.

Sal

I'm sure they will be fine after they get broken in. I have spent a few $$$$ with Alan and have no complaints with any other products. Ive bought countless gear sets for the larger reels. At least 35 gear sleeves.

I have numerous reels out in the field with his SS gear sets and they always look new when the reels are serviced.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Benni3

3 years back I sent two 4/0's to Scott's and thay put 4.1 gears in no problems

franky

I also agree that the 4/0 gear set is very good and very smooth.  However, I did have issues with the 5:1 gear set for the jigmaster reels.  I believe it was the second generation.  For some reason, the gear was a little rough when initially installed.  However, when load was put onto the spool, the gear grinded and locked up.  I do have that gear set from my customer just sitting on the side.  I'm hesitant in installing it in another reel.  To bad I don't use a jigmaster so that I can install it in my own reel for testing.  Aside from that, the high speed 4:1 gears for  the 4/0 is awesome.

Black Pearl

Quote from: franky on May 22, 2018, 01:58:16 AM
I also agree that the 4/0 gear set is very good and very smooth.  However, I did have issues with the 5:1 gear set for the jigmaster reels.  I believe it was the second generation.  For some reason, the gear was a little rough when initially installed.  However, when load was put onto the spool, the gear grinded and locked up.  I do have that gear set from my customer just sitting on the side.  I'm hesitant in installing it in another reel.  To bad I don't use a jigmaster so that I can install it in my own reel for testing.  Aside from that, the high speed 4:1 gears for  the 4/0 is awesome.

I believe that it was the first gen. Do you have that gear set picture?

franky

Quote from: Black Pearl on May 22, 2018, 02:16:36 AM
Quote from: franky on May 22, 2018, 01:58:16 AM
I also agree that the 4/0 gear set is very good and very smooth.  However, I did have issues with the 5:1 gear set for the jigmaster reels.  I believe it was the second generation.  For some reason, the gear was a little rough when initially installed.  However, when load was put onto the spool, the gear grinded and locked up.  I do have that gear set from my customer just sitting on the side.  I'm hesitant in installing it in another reel.  To bad I don't use a jigmaster so that I can install it in my own reel for testing.  Aside from that, the high speed 4:1 gears for  the 4/0 is awesome.

I believe that it was the first gen. Do you have that gear set picture?

Yes I have the set.  I somehow have a hard time posting pics, but if you have an email address, I can email you the pic.  Or a phone number and I can text your pictures.

mikeysm

Sometimes it's not the gear fit but the pinion gear hole needs to be polished also the spool shaft.

Mike

otghoyt

Permatex valve lapping compound.  Paste in a tube.  Cost $12 and change.  Instant break in.  You can hear them smooth out in a dozen turns.  Use it on the inside bore of the pinion too. GET IT ALL OFF when you're done!

H~

kmstorm64

Lapping compound can fix a lot of small problems.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!