Up grade gears for squidder 146

Started by Reel 224, May 20, 2018, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Does anyone do upgraded gears for the Squidder?

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

STRIPER LOU

Joe, I'm not aware of any. I usually buy stock steel gears on fleabay when I see them. They are definitely stronger than the brass. If you can find them paired up with the pinion, its even better but not absolutely necessary.

Maybe someone can add to this. Any steel main gear form the 140, 145, and 146 will fit.

...............Lou

Reel 224

Lou: I was looking for upgraded ratio I believe the stock gear is 3:1 and I was wondering if they had 4:1.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Ron Jones

The 320GTI is a 5:1 reel with a squidder spool, rebuild it to Alan's specifications and you have an amazing little reel.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Swami805

I think I remember an old thread about not enough room and//or not enough meat on the gears to do it. I'd be in for a couple sets if it happened.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

STRIPER LOU

I understand Joe and I know what your looking for, and as far as I know there is nothing.  I was thinking from another point of view, on the squidder, we upgrade the frame and drags, but the gearing is the weak point and becomes even more evident after the upgrades. Going to the steel main gear, in my mind, helps a little.
Swami is on the money as  there is a lack of room.

The input gear or main gear would have to be larger and or the output gear (pinion) would have to be smaller.

Seeing how its not feasible to make the pinion smaller, It would all have to be accomplished with the main gear. So that's where the lack of clearance space comes in.

I probably own over a dozen or more Squidders and use them mostly for bottom fishing and a little tube and worming.

Great little reels and thanks Swami for the last one I purchased from you. Very nice!

I've been up since 3 AM so I could be wrong, but I think that's the reason behind no higher speed gear ratio's.

They're great little reels and still some of the best old school casting reels around. I believe Accurate solved the problem by creating the Squidder Magnum.

All have a great evening,  ..  Lou

MarkT

They don't exist.  A Newell 200 series is a Magnum Squidder with 5:1 gears.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Reel 224

Quote from: MarkT on May 20, 2018, 10:57:14 PM
They don't exist.  A Newell 200 series is a Magnum Squidder with 5:1 gears.

But that is a different reel, my question was directed at a reel that I already built with cortez conversions sqidder 146 kit. So my take from this would be. To get what I'm aiming for is the newell 200 series.

Never the less I like the little 146 I have built and I'LL be satisfied with the gears as they are.

Thanks fellas for the input it was a good learning experience.

Joe     

Swami805

A pro gear 255 is another option, same size,all aluminum with penn 500 gears so you  get at least 4.8-1. Nice,easy to maintian since the guts are all penn I feel ya on the cortez, I love mine but it is slow.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

MarkT

Yeah, I forgot that you recently finished the Cortez'd 146. Sorry, but you don't have any option for faster gears.

Reel 224

Quote from: MarkT on May 21, 2018, 12:24:37 AM
Yeah, I forgot that you recently finished the Cortez'd 146. Sorry, but you don't have any option for faster gears.

That's okay I was just wondering, If you don't ask questions you can't learn.

Joe

Decker

I've researched this before, and there are several all threads, that basicly say, "No."  :P  But, there seems to have been something called a "magnum squidder" at one time that had Accurate side plates and used a higher gear ratio.  Some say it's not possible because of size constraints, some continue to wish and hope for one...

Here are the threads:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19071.0

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6915.0

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19992.0

Here is how I found the threads with Google: https://www.google.com/search?ei=JeMCW8S1MdDs5gLp4anwBA&q=site%3Aalantani.com+squidder+4%3A1&oq=site%3Aalantani.com+squidder+4%3A1&gs_l=psy-ab.3...7973.7973.0.8401.1.1.0.0.0.0.56.56.1.1.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.XoDFO5ctepg

MarkT

A 'Magnum' conversion uses gears/drags of the next larger reel series.  So a Magnum Jigmaster has 4/0 gears/drags.  A Magnum Squidder would have Jigmaster gears/drags.  The Newell 200 series where in fact designed to be Squidders with Jigmaster drags and faster gears.  The Newell 300 series were designed to be  Jigmasters with faster gears and bearings.  Some of the old Pro Gears were in effect Magnum'd Squidders and Jigmasters... the 255/251 being Magnum Squidders and the 545/541 being Magnum Jigmasters.

Reel 224

As far as I'm concerned the question has been answered in my case for the cortez conversions 146 I was asking with that directive only.

Thanks again for the information and I will save it for future data.

Joe