what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Nice break  ;D........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

there's an old cavalry principle, "first the horse, then the gun, then the man."  got home super late friday night. i emptied the suv, washed and gassed it up yesterday morning, and finally got the gear stowed.  i after loaning a bunch of reels out over the last several months, plus taking some to cedros to fish with last week, the braid need to be repacked and the topshots replaced on all the loaner reels.  sometimes you also have to take care of your own stuff.  it took all day yesterday and part of this morning, but now it's done.  time to get back to work on everyone else's reels.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reel 224

And so the saga goes on. 8) ;) :D............................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Ron Jones

Those gold two on the bottom, there the business!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

swill88

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on September 09, 2018, 05:11:43 PM
took a break last week.  full report to follow. 

Nice Yellowtail boss!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Your reel bag looks good & the fish, also the bloke holding it, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

redsetta

Hi Alan,
I'm sure you've answered this one before, but I can't seem to locate the answer.
Are these drag figures are set via a straight-pull directly between the reel and scale?
Thanks, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

found a round hole punch to make drag stickers!  used them for the first time on this andros 16 two speed.  i set it to 25 pounds at "strike."  i couldn't use a number for "full," though.  i don't have a sticker that says "27."   >:(

David Hall

with only 2 lbs difference why even bother with strike settings, just push it all the way up.

alantani

they need to redo the cam.  it really limits its usefulness this way. 

Rivverrat

Other than the 5 which is all wrong in the other direction, the whole Andros series is like this. I make mention of this in my tutorial on 12N. I suspect it is done by Okuma to help protect pinion bearing. 

2 differing ways I've dealt with. One, set strike a few clicks prior to contact with strike button. Downside its easy to bump drag forward when doing it this way. Two, break out the fine toothed file & have at the cam. I ruined two of my own before I felt comfortable attempting to do it on others reels. The cams aren't cheap & are easy to foul up... Jeff   

alantani

doing a standard drag upgrade and bearing service on the venerable shimano tld 15.  been a while since i've seen a brand new one.  i was pleasantly surprised to see all open bearings!  could be be that shimano actually agrees with me on open spool bearings?   ::)