what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darin Crofton

Alan, you like those big Avets? Are they heavy compared to the Penn 50 vsx you just serviced? Keep up the good work, I really enjoy this thread!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

alantani

these 50 class reels are all the same size - heavy!  doesn't matter, they're all heavy.  and when you lay it on the rail, it doesn't matter whether it weighs 2 pounds or 20 pounds.  the important thing is the drag range.  this one falls short.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Darin Crofton

Gotcha, thanks for the reply! Jeff is going to build me some uc viper rail rods soon, so was just wondering.

alantani

Quote from: Darin Crofton on October 29, 2018, 05:12:47 AM
Gotcha, thanks for the reply! Jeff is going to build me some uc viper rail rods soon, so was just wondering.

the viper is the perfect 100 pound stick, easily holding up under 30 to 50 pounds of drag.  and you want a reel that will match that level of performance.  we are talking about the makaira 20, the penn international vsx 20, or the newer visx 20.  one of those three.  don't get talked into anything else. 

Darin Crofton

That Okuma looks real good, will get me a couple of those for chunking for yellowfin in Venice, LA.
At home though, the Viper will have a hot rodded 6/0 for pulling big grouper from the depths...
Thanks for all your help, AT!!!

alantani

if you're not going with 30 pounds of drag, the viper is a waste.  go with the centaur for 25 pounds of drag and the viper for 30. 

Darin Crofton

right on, I have two 600h Daiwas that have the insert drags, ss sleeves and getting dd bridges on them this week, will set them at 35-40#'s, and can use them on the viper
also, my 6/0 Penns will eventually get the same treatment and can use them as well, probably set them at 35#'s, how's that sound?
we have some really big grouper off our coast and the Viper seems like a perfect rod for them, I'll need to polish up on the rail technique though  ;D

alantani

30 pounds is a good setting for these combos.  not sure what the fish will think, but the rod and reel will be balanced. 

Darin Crofton

haha, thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes...

alantani

this is a two speed avet pro 50.  out of the box, it delivered only 35 pounds of drag at strike and 40 pounds at full before losing freespool.  i changed the bellevilles around and i'm going to put it back together now.  we'll see what i can squeeze out of it.

Reel 224

Alan: Is that reel a single plate with double drag discs that I'm looking at in that photo? If so it looks like plenty of surface for drag pressure for ample drag I would think.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

yup, two drags and a massive stainless steel rotor.  you'd think......  :-\

Reel 224

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!  ??? I would be interested in the outcome of your salutation....................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Tightlines667

I remember being dissapointed by the drag range on the last avet ex80 I worked on, but I can't remember the numbers I ended up with.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Reel 224

A simple answer would be put more pressure on it, But the design may not be made that way if it's only center pressure. Seems to me it would have to be even pressure all around. We will see what Alan comes up with.

Joe