what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

this is a chinese import.  it's a typical design and it actually works very well.  lots of stainless steel where it counts.  i cleaned out the bearings and replaced the drag washers, then loaded it up with 300 yards of fresh 25 pound mono.  the line underneath looked like it was loaded loose.  it was a mess.  it will be a great salmon reel now!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

a 114h.  this one was likely submerged.  somehow the click tongue broke.  water got into the drag stack and caused the gear sleeve to seize up.  i got apart, but only after torching it for a very long two minutes.  i find myself torching stuff alot more these days!  total time spend on this one was two hours!

thorhammer

Alan, this will be one of the epic threads ever.

ReelFishingProblems

I agree with John! This is one of my favorite threads!

alantani

an beautiful avet sx raptor, loaded with 250 yards of 50 pound seagar hollow threadlock and a 25 yard topshot of 30 pound berkley big game, drag set to 9 pounds at strike, 12 pounds at full.  not a big fan of the cast control.  even at the lowest setting, the freespool is very poor.  the magnet is easy to pull if you ever want to disable it.  you literally reach in and pull the magnet out. 

alantani

now an avet mx raptor with 250 yards of 60 pound seaguar threadlock and a 25 yard topshot of 40 pound big game, drags set to 12 pounds at strike, 16 pounds at full.

alantani

ah, remember that i said that this would be a problem?  well, here it is.  one of the new toriums with a bad bearing.  then entire reel has to come apart to replace the bearing. 

yup, the right spool bearing.  surprisingly, it's in incredibly bad shape compared to the rest of the reel. 

and here's the reason.  there is a gasket that holds water in.  never noticed that before.  well, the bearing is being replaced and the gasket is being tossed. 

handi2

Alan I have to torch the gear sleeves on the H2 models more than any other.

Today I was repairing a Calcutta 200B. When I removed the pawl cap inside the little hole in the pawl was a click spring and click pin used to put pressure on the pawl ???

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

here's a rarity!  a beautiful, clean, perfectly functional 975 ld with no corrosion.  either this guys doesn't fish very much or he takes really good care of his gear!  

alantani

Quote from: handi2 on May 23, 2018, 10:28:40 PM
Alan I have to torch the gear sleeves on the H2 models more than any other.

Today I was repairing a Calcutta 200B. When I removed the pawl cap inside the little hole in the pawl was a click spring and click pin used to put pressure on the pawl ???

Keith

pretty fancy!  i just use teflon dots to shim the pawl. 

alantani

there were three of these altogether.  they all went without a hitch.  nice for a change.  usually i'm chiseling salt out of these!

mikeysm

Alan is that your cleaning fluid in the background of one of your pictures.

Mike

alantani

i'm partial to the laphroig!!!!!  ;D

alantani

the calcutta 700 B was a redesign and a big improvement over the old 700.  very straight forward reels to service. 

alantani

check out this shimano torium.  it shows clearly why the dog and spring upgrade is so important!