what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

So what's the verdict on those Valiants Alan? I was thinking of getting a 300 when they 1st came out then thought better of it and figured to wait until they'd been around awhile. I love my gold trini 12 but I know it won't last forever and was considering a 300 Valiant to replace it. A little apple to oranges with the lever drag I know. Would you buy one? Thanks Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

it's a nice design, but the high speed gear teeth are awfully tiny.  i'll try to get a picture next time, but they make me nervous.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Benni3

Accurate vs jigging master,,,,what do you think  ;D

alantani

Quote from: Benni3 on June 09, 2018, 10:38:34 PM
Accurate vs jigging master,,,,what do you think  ;D

it's actually kind of funny.  jigging master has all the best features of avet and accurate.  it's almost like someone went in and copied their best ideas........ 

Benni3

Thanks alan,,,,can't wait to see you open one up ;D

Rivverrat

Quote from: Swami805 on June 09, 2018, 04:40:33 PM
So what's the verdict on those Valiants Alan? I was thinking of getting a 300 when they 1st came out then thought better of it and figured to wait until they'd been around awhile. I love my gold trini 12 but I know it won't last forever and was considering a 300 Valiant to replace it. A little apple to oranges with the lever drag I know. Would you buy one? Thanks Sheridan

I'm of the same mind. I keep hoping against all odds this will be a fantastic, durable reel & it might turn out to be so. But I would want to fish it with heavier than 30 lb. line & thats where my doubt start. Parts arent the cheapest for this one... Jeff

Swami805

I bought that trini 12 new a long time ago and it's served me well. Nothing lasts forever though and parts for it aren't going to get easier to find. Love my 220 newells but smoked a few fishing light line for bigger fish. The 300 Valiant looks good on paper, maybe a new trinidad 12 is a better bet. A fair chuck of cabbage either way.
Thanks Alan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

old school.....

alantani

haven't seen one of these in a while.

MarkT

I have a BV-300 and I really like it. I have 300 yds of 50# Maxcuatro with a 40# leader. I use it for jigging mostly but I've used it for bait too. You can now get it with a clicker.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rivverrat

Quote from: MarkT on June 12, 2018, 01:48:50 AM
I have a BV-300 and I really like it. I have 300 yds of 50# Maxcuatro with a 40# leader. I use it for jigging mostly but I've used it for bait too. You can now get it with a clicker.

Hmmm.... It's tempting. I'm going to give it the rest of this year then check into it some more... Jeff

Long Enuff

One of the things I have learned from this site is to keep your reels out of the salt spray as much as possible. Being a small boat fisherman, and often traveling 60 plus miles out into the ocean, that can be a challenge. I try to keep all rigs out of the gunnel rod holders if possible and store them behind the leaning post and on the aft end of the T-top when running. In the slop, the gunnel holders can take a deluge and it will find its way inside almost any reel.

alantani

finally caught up with emails, pm's and websites.  still haven't finished my alaska post yet, but there are reels that have to be fixed first.  this was from a friend that lives locally.  for some reason, it's binding slightly when in gear.  i changed out the pinion bearing twice.  it's not bad, but it is noticeable.  i'll let him fish with it for a while.  he knows to get back to me if it gets worse. 

alantani

more about daiwa!  this one cleaned up nicely!

alantani

the rival of the daiwa saltiga was the old shimano torium.  i prefer the torium hands down.  the important feature is the option of a spring loaded dog.  even compared to the old gold trinidad, the torium is every bit the equal.  funny thing, once i finish with all the modifications on an old gold trinidad, it is basically turned into a torium!