what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally15

Quote from: thorhammer on August 07, 2018, 10:37:36 AM
Nice! I gotta come back out there for a rigging / splicing class! How's Joey?
John, you set up a trip and I'll join you. Maybe we can talk him into a boat ride. After the class, of course.
Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

alantani

here's that shim washer that i was talking about earlier.  just finished two of these and they did not have or need the washer.  now this third one has a washer,  it provides a little space between the drag pressure plate and the left side plate bearing.  maybe there were differences between some of the different runs of side plates......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

this little guy was torched and still took 20 minutes.  just add grease to the screw and a little to the screw hole.  no need to clean it out.  grease alone will work fine. 

alantani

local rockcod reels.  dark were the days when we used straight mono.......

alantani

working on another talica.  just curious.  why is it that an asymmetric spool is a good idea?

Wally15

Quote from: alantani on August 12, 2018, 05:27:50 PM
working on another talica.  just curious.  why is it that an asymmetric spool is a good idea?

Balance the reel weight/CG to the center of the spool?? Not including the handle??

An uneducated guess.

GA Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

alantani

not sure who wound on the braid for this guy, but this pin will come flying out if pulled hard enough. 

Jeffro

Quote from: alantani on August 12, 2018, 05:27:50 PM
working on another talica.  just curious.  why is it that an asymmetric spool is a good idea?

Haven't tried casting this way but here is a partial description of the Torsa from a Shimano retailer:  "The handle side of the spool is taller than the non-handle side. This extended spool lip gives the angler a very consistent surface to thumb during the cast. It has shown to be valuable as it provides more manageability than thumbing the inconsistent surface of the line on the spool."

Ron Jones

Of course, that only means something if you cast with the wrong hand!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

the biggest reel i've worked on in a very long time.  it's all cleaned up and ready to go back together, but i'm beat.  gonna turn in for the night and put it back together in the morning.  

Rivverrat

Quote from: Ron Jones on August 13, 2018, 02:35:45 AM
Of course, that only means something if you cast with the wrong hand!
Ron

Not necessarily many fellas will across the spool to thumb the shoulder of the spool.

Had a friend who I guess was watching me cast over a period of three days on the river.
He asked why I sometimes thumb different sides of the when casting.
I didnt have an answer because I didnt realize I did this.
I soon realized I get better leverage & better finesse using different sides of the spool during a cast

I cant explain it but I can feel it & see the difference ... Jeff

alantani

now this was a disappointment.  12 pounds of drag at strike before losing freespool.  the reel is rigged with 300 yards of 60 pound hollow on bottom and 300 yards of 80 pound hollow on top.  the limited drag range makes this reel suitable for a 40 pound topshot and that's it.  i think this one is a single drag system, not double, which would explain the poor drag range. 

Benni3

great info and great job getting them done ;D

Rivverrat

Thats why I dont own an Accurate Fury good price but poor performance

Jim Fujitani

I agree.  I started with Accurate because of the well-tested dual drag system.  Small reels, big fish.