what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

inside!  underneath the bearing!  it works great.  i bought these shims years ago but never used them much until now!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on August 26, 2018, 03:12:30 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on August 26, 2018, 09:55:17 AM
Quote from: alantani on August 25, 2018, 05:48:20 AM
here is what we use for big fish.  it's the makaira 50 two speed.  it's loaded with 700 yards of alternating colors of 130 pound jerry brown hollow core, then a topshot of 130 pound pink seaguar fluorocarbon.  the drags are set to 45 pounds at strike and 65 pounds at full.  that is the 30% strika and 50% full settings that i look for in a reel.  get a 100 pound spring scale and check your drags.  the penn international 50 vsx and visx should give you a similar performance.  if you actually do test your reel, let me know what your results are!  
very good Idea Alan, where do you get those stickers?

http://www.onecooltuna.com/
Thanks boss!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

Don't wanna disrupt the flow of this thread too much, but I godda ask bout the Makaira 2speed-sticker thing. It's gotta drag range adjuster on the pivot point of the lever right( can't see it in the pic.)? If you do some readjusting you do you godda move the stickers?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

yup!  these are specific to southern california, baja and the west coast of mexico. 

Joao Tavares

[/quote]
measure the outside diameter of the right side spool bearing.  if it's a stainless steel shim washer that i have, i can simply put it in a plain letter envelope and mail it to you!
[/quote]

Alan
Both spool bearings are the same TGT0483 8mmx16mmx5mm.
As you can see per attached drawing, both bearings are separated by the pressure release spring.
From what you said, I reckon the shimm should go between the spring and the right side spool bearing, right?

Thank you.
João

alantani

STRIPER LOU

McMaster Carr carries a full line of those shims too.

..................Lou

Joao Tavares

You must have ordered the last packs. Went looking and they're out of stock.

alantani

it let me back order them.  i ordered a bunch of different thicknesses, got four all total.  i'll let you know when they arrive!  perhaps i could mail these directly to you in a plain letter envelope? 

Joao Tavares

Yes, mailing them in a plain letter should be no problem. I'll PM you my home address and you let me know how much I need to send you.
Cheers
João

alantani

30 pounds at strike only gives us 40 pounds at full, not the 50 pounds that i usually look for.  it's an avet pro-ex 50/2 sds. 

MarkT

You don't expect to get 50# at full when it's set to 30# at strike on any reel, do you?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

yeah, well, i guess not on this reel.......   :-\

alantani

old school avet jx, single speed, 400 yards of 65 pound j-braid, 50 yards of mono, a $20 5/0 grip, drag set to 9 pounds at strike and 15 at full. 

alantani

took a break last week.  full report to follow.