what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

Thanks Alan.
Looks like new topshots for me ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Ron Jones

I of course bow to the subject matter expertise of the Boss. However, I think it's important to point out that you can fish a big reel lighter if that is what the fish want. Especially if you are not casting. The SOA trip taught me that 30 gets bit more but is harder to land a fish with. Of all the compromises due to space and budget, I think big reel fished light is best. That wasn't my opinion a couple months ago.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

Shimano is very proud of their Talica reels, which I think is business-speak for being over- priced. Doc wants to fish this reel for big fish. It is rigged with 500 yards of 100 pound jb hollow and will get a 50 yard topshot of 100 pound mono.  I actually was able to get 30 pounds of drag at strike and 50 pounds at full. But just because you can do something,  it doesn't mean you should.  I would not be surprised if he shreds the gears. Grab some popcorn and let's watch.  This could be fun!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

RowdyW

It might be a "hold my beer & watch this" episoide.  ;D ;D      Rudy

Darin Crofton

I thought Sal was the one wanting to blow up a reel on a big fish? Hopefully there will be video...
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Benni3

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on November 01, 2018, 09:35:28 PM
Shimano is very proud of their Talica reels, which I think is business-speak for being over- priced. Doc wants to fish this reel for big fish. It is rigged with 500 yards of 100 pound jb hollow and will get a 50 yard topshot of 100 pound mono.  I actually was able to get 30 pounds of drag at strike and 50 pounds at full. But just because you can do something,  it doesn't mean you should.  I would not be surprised if he shreds the gears. Grab some popcorn and let's watch.  This could be fun!

I have that same feeling about Talicas, they are offered as powerfull reel but what got me thinking when I was just opening the reel were the tiny screws that hold the sideplate to the frame, just 4 really small screws than can be easily misthreaded or head broken with some corrosion

I have thin fingers, I think mine in the pic is 5/8", so you can get an idea of the tiny screw size
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Shimano has done very well at catching fisherman.

By simply doing nothing more than giving the unknowing what they want in a lot instances... Jeff

alantani

believe or not, there is actually an old gold trinidad 12 here, somewhere.....

alantani

and here is an old trinidad 40.  note that the stock drags are totally dry. 

alantani

alantani

mike's reel!

Reel 224

I could load all of my reels with the ling you put on that, and then some...............................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Benni3

Yes,,,,, 20/0's likes line :D and lots of it :o my reel held one weeks pay check  ;D

Rivverrat

Quote from: Benni3 on November 10, 2018, 01:27:18 PM
......my reel held one weeks pay check  ;D

This just busts me up laughing out loud. A serious rip in the pants  :D ;D :D