what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn

We are approaching are busiest time of the year.  Last week we received an 80 pc order from Alaska and a 60 pc International order from NJ.  These large orders set us back about 2 weeks! 

tony

alantani

here is an "old" penn international 30 vsw with 550 yards of 130 pound braid, a 75 yard topshot of 100 pound mono, 30 pounds at strike, 50 pounds of drag at full. this is what i'm talkin' about!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Lunker Larry

Ref the large boxes of Penn reels. They sure know how to treat them with tender loving care .
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Rivverrat

Quote from: Lunker Larry on November 28, 2018, 08:03:44 PM
Ref the large boxes of Penn reels. They sure know how to treat them with tender loving care .

I imagine those reels are being sent to Penn for the only love they have or will see for a while.

nelz

Ughhh, painful to see, lol.  :'(  Guess they must've taken some damage in transit all bunched up like that.

handi2

I usually get them in 5 gallon buckets. When they are finished they are individually bubble wrapped and boxed carefully.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Brendan

You're a saint and care more than they do. I hope it's appreciated.
Brendan.

alantani

alantani

shimano graphites are still a favorite of mine.  the TR2000 was serviced and loaded with 175 yards of straight 30# mono, the TR1000 was serviced and loaded with 200 yards of straight 20 pound mono, drags set to 30%.  nice reels!

Benni3

More great information,,,, :D people have told me how much thay like the international cs ;D

alantani

the venerable penn 320 gt2!  another one of my favorites.  i still run four of these.  you do need to address a few issues, though.  one is to shim the line leveler pawl.  for this, i used a teflon dot that i punch from a sheet that is 10 thousandths of an inch thick.  your average milk jug plastic is 20 thousandths of an inch thick, so that should give you an idea.  use a leather hole punch to get the right size.  the other problem is that the pinion gear will rust to the spool shaft.  this is where you need the double screwdriver trick.  if you have one of these reels, pop off the right side plate and lube both bearings and the spool shaft as soon as you can!

Ron Jones

I do love the 320 GTI/2/whatever. Follow Alan's tutorial, get rid of the level wind and you are off. An easy way to get a fast Squidder.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

if you ever come across one of these reels, grab it! they're really nice. 

it's shimano's ocea jigger 5000p. 

it's basically a much tougher version of the old gold trinidad 40.  one of the most important upgrades is the install the dog and spring from the trinidad DC.  to do this, we're going to have to dremel away some metal.

this is what the plate looks like after the cuts.

the trinidad DC springs go in first.

then the trinidad DC dogs.

then the covers, screws and the ratchet gear.

i installed six massive greased carbon fiber drag washers, repacked the braid, added an 80 pound topshot and cranked the drag down to 25 pounds with no trouble.  actually, i first got 35 pounds of drag and had to back it off.  very nice reel!

Darin Crofton

Slick work there Alan, love this thread Boss!!!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

nelz

Quote from: alantani on December 18, 2018, 06:05:27 AMit's shimano's ocea jigger 5000p.

So Alan, did the stock reel have dogs?  If not, what were those little screw-on caps (that are holding down the new dogs) used for before?