Grease

Started by Scattergun2570, May 22, 2018, 09:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

I know I have posted about this in the past,but it still irks me. The latest reels I have serviced,were ones with brass gears,conventionals. For whatever reason,they seem to push the grease out to the edge of the gear when I put new grease,,Yamalube cut with Corrosion X. The gear appears to hold such a fine coat of grease it's almost not visible. The first few reels I tried to service had cast zinc type gears,well the main was anyway. Point is,the cast gear seemed to hold on to the grease much better. I thought that maybe it was the mineral spirits I was using to degrease was causing it not to stick as well,so I tried GUNK brake cleaner this time,,and a follow up with hot soapy water and dawn. The results seem to be the same,looks like it just pushes the grease out to the edge,leaving what appears to be nothing in the mid section of the gear. Any thoughts on this?

Fish-aholic

Imo, there's no need to excessively pack each tooth with grease to the point you can't visually make out the tooth depth. It only migrates away when forced to mate with the pinion gear. I often see bands of excessive grease thrown within the drives side plate masking drainage holes so if water ever intruded inside, it cannot seep out, e.g...

I personally like to brush a thin film of m/grease in between all gear teeth with a designated brush to both main and pinion gear. I do like to keep the inner bore of the p/gear grease free and lightly oiled to help retain good free spool qualities to fixed axle spools...

HTH, Steve

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Fish-aholic on May 22, 2018, 11:14:24 PM
Imo, there's no need to excessively pack each tooth with grease to the point you can't visually make out the tooth depth. It only migrates away when forced to mate with the pinion gear. I often see bands of excessive grease thrown within the drives side plate masking drainage holes so if water ever intruded inside, it cannot seep out, e.g...

I personally like to brush a thin film of m/grease in between all gear teeth with a designated brush to both main and pinion gear. I do like to keep the inner bore of the p/gear grease free and lightly oiled to help retain good free spool qualities to fixed axle spools...

In my

HTH, Steve

Well I definitely do not overgrease,,,anymore. When I first came on the board I definitely put too much,but quickly realized it didn't pay for more than one reason. I do apply it just as you described,,and I use TSI321 inside the pinion gear. I guess it just bothers me that I can't see it well. Thanks Steve

wfjord

I'm still learning about these things, so here are my novice thoughts:  I particularly noticed how Yamaha grease gets pushed aside by the gear mesh, leaving at least, I assume, an invisible microscopic coating --but smoother when mixed it with CorrosionX.  When I started mixing TSI321 with Yamaha and applying less, it worked well, but the TSI seemed to liquefy the Yamaha grease.  After reading more about TSI I started using pure TSI321 on gear teeth and so far like it the best of anything I've tried.  I apply modest amount TSI with a small soft artists brush into the gear teeth and any other moving parts or surfaces that need lubing or protection.  I guess time (and/or failure :() will tell how well it works, but the dozen or so reels I've gone back and relubed with it are super smooth.

There is some good info on the TSI website about this. It certainly sounded impressive and convincing to me:
TSI321:   http://www.tsi301.com/tsi321moreinfo.htm
TSI301:   http://www.tsi301.com/main.htm

El Pescador

My name is Wayne,

And I am an over-greaser!

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Scattergun2570

Quote from: wfjord on May 22, 2018, 11:57:25 PM
I'm still learning about these things, so here are my novice thoughts:  I particularly noticed how Yamaha grease gets pushed aside by the gear mesh, leaving at least, I assume, an invisible microscopic coating --but smoother when mixed it with CorrosionX.  When I started mixing TSI321 with Yamaha and applying less, it worked well, but the TSI seemed to liquefy the Yamaha grease.  After reading more about TSI I started using pure TSI321 on gear teeth and so far like it the best of anything I've tried.  I apply modest amount TSI with a small soft artists brush into the gear teeth and any other moving parts or surfaces that need lubing or protection.  I guess time (and/or failure :() will tell how well it works, but the dozen or so reels I've gone back and relubed with it are super smooth.

There is some good info on the TSI website about this. It certainly sounded impressive and convincing to me:

Who knows,maybe I need to try a different grease,maybe I'll buy a small tube of the Penn Precision Lube.

Keta

The cast metal gears are rough and hold grease better.  All you need for grease is a thin film.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Scattergun2570

Just TSI alone huh? Keep us informed on this,love to see the results.

wfjord

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on May 23, 2018, 05:54:36 PM

Thus far I've got it on about eight of my baitcasters, a Penn mag 10, a squidder, two old 109s, and several old spinfishers.  Also lubed any contact areas on the spool & spool shaft on the baitcasters & conventionals, and all critical areas of the levelwind assembly.  So far no gear noise and the revolving spool reels are casting & cranking better than ever.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: wfjord on May 23, 2018, 06:53:57 PM
Quote from: Scattergun2570 on May 23, 2018, 05:54:36 PM

Very interesting.

Thus far I've got it on about eight of my baitcasters, a Penn mag 10, a squidder, two old 109s, and several old spinfishers.  Also lubed any contact areas on the spool & spool shaft on the baitcasters & conventionals, and all critical areas of the levelwind assembly.  So far no gear noise and the revolving spool reels are casting & cranking better than ever.

handi2

To remove the cleaning fluid I use I just wash the parts in hot water and a blow dry. A 15 second job. The parts are in a SS colander and the hot water is in a Tupperware bowl in my mop sink. Drop the colander in and shake it about :D

If you take apart any type of reel the grease will look gone on the gears. I do not cut the Yamaha grease with anything using it on conventional reels.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Cor

Excessive grease was about the only reason why I ever experienced an AR dog not engaging immediately.

It's a horrible feeling when you pull a fish, retrieve line and then the AR dog does not engage as it should and the reel goes into free spool for a few seconds.
Cornelis

fogbound

You guys have caused me to try and think. Always trouble. So, what are we trying to accomplish when we grease gears? I know we use grease generally to protect surfaces from water,and a lubricant of some sort to reduce friction in bearings.But the actual meshing surfaces of the teeth transmit power. As noted, grease is squeezed out-rejected- by the mating surfaces,but I'm wondering if any kind of slippery in the teeth is a bad thing,causing sliding forces where they shouldn't be. Which is worse-friction from dry tooth surfaces with full power transmission or the friction from slippery tooth surfaces as a result of the power transmission? In other words,what's most sensible-grease all surfaces and let the teeth decide how much grease to keep? Grease all but the teeth,and film them with a liquid/spray like corrosion-x? Or -can't be right- run 'em with dry teeth? Or does any of it make a difference? Who thinks what?

SoCalAngler

I grease the gear teeth like shown above. It works fine for me and can reduce gear noise especially with stainless gears.

rippin_lips

Quote from: fogbound on June 02, 2018, 05:06:25 PM
  You guys have caused me to try and think. Always trouble. So, what are we trying to accomplish when we grease gears? I know we use grease generally to protect surfaces from water,and a lubricant of some sort to reduce friction in bearings.But the actual meshing surfaces of the teeth transmit power. As noted, grease is squeezed out-rejected- by the mating surfaces,but I'm wondering if any kind of slippery in the teeth is a bad thing,causing sliding forces where they shouldn't be. Which is worse-friction from dry tooth surfaces with full power transmission or the friction from slippery tooth surfaces as a result of the power transmission? In other words,what's most sensible-grease all surfaces and let the teeth decide how much grease to keep? Grease all but the teeth,and film them with a liquid/spray like corrosion-x? Or -can't be right- run 'em with dry teeth? Or does any of it make a difference? Who thinks what?

Would you drain the oil from a transfer case on a truck axle and run it dry?  No.  A fishing reel does not have a case to hold the oil or lubricant around the gears, grease/oil/lubricant does more than just corrosion control. It also aids the smooth contact of metal surfaces as they mate reducing metal on metal wear reducing excess friction and reducing excess temperatures.