Bushkill Creek, Bushkll, PA 2018 Vacation *** Now With Pics***

Started by ChileRelleno, May 23, 2018, 01:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

Big Tim

What an awesome trip Chile..Thank you for takng us along. Can I borrow Nate for a while? Apparently I have forgotten how to fish & could use some pointers  ;D

Keep them pics coming!

Tim

ChileRelleno

Day Six

Wow, what a morning... Hi's and Lows abound.

I start of early this morning catching an average sized Rainbow, keep fishing switching out spots and land the biggest Rainbow of the trip, get it netted and to the bank.
Hooray, I'm ecstatic, this fish has to be 18"-20"!
I pop the hook out of it's mouth and it violently flops out of the net, gives three more huge flops and slides down a wet mud bank and back into the river as I'm desperately trying to grab it.
Talk about a morale crushing blow.

Ok, I can get over it, I keep fishing and moving, and I'm in a quiet spot casting when across the creek I notice a spotted fawn stand up in a patch of grass right on the edge of the creek.
Its not 15 yards from me and wholly unafraid, it watches me, it settles back down into the grass where I can clearly see it.  I pull my phone out of it's "waterproof pocket" in my waders and get a few pics and even some video when it stood up again, cool stuff.
Never did see it's doe and I left it alone.

Keep fishing and decide to cross the creek in a likely looking spot, not too deep, not too fast, as I can see rocks/bottom all the way across.
I get about to the middle and find that I've managed to get atop a huge flat rock covered with slime.
Slip #1, and I'm wet, damn get off this rock!
Slip #2, much wetter, cussing, where is the edge of this slab?
Trying to find footing, how big is this F#cking thing, Slip #3 and I'm almost swimming.
But hey, I'm off the giant assed slip and slide of a rock slab!
Slip#4 and I'm sputtering cuss words with water and finally stagger into a few inches of water, out of breath and waders full of water.
Wow, I still have my rod, nothing lost out of vest pockets and I'm not hurt/drowned.
Life is good.
Then my phone starts making random noises... Oh crapola!
Yep, that waterproof pocket wasn't waterproof...  I give it up and slosh 1/2 a mile back to the cabin.
Phone is toast, gonna have to buy a new one.
And my pics of the fawn are history.

I might go back out later and scour the section of river I caught that PB best Bow in, he might still be around.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

CapeFish

Great holiday thanks for sharing, I just had a good laugh at your rock sliding and cell phone dunking story  :)

David Hall

Thougproughly enjoying reading about your vacation.  Your in the midst of the country my ancestors called home.  Wonder how far you are from Compass?

oldmanjoe

:'(           Get that phone into a bag of rice .  You may get lucky especially that you drowned it in fresh water.    If you can pull the battery also.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Benni3

This happens to me,,,,,,,but one thing to know is if you have waders on wrap you arms around the bottom of your legs and trap the air in your waders,,,, ;D

Shark Hunter

Sorry about the Big Rainbow and your phone John.
Sometimes being adventurous has its downside.
I did chuckle for a minute, then I thought it wasn't funny.
I know cell phones aren't cheap.
They are to me, because you couldn't give me one. ;)
Life is Good!

Benni3

ChileRelleno

Day Six

After this morning I hung it for the day and went back to bed.
I must've been a little depressed cause I slept till that evening.
Got up and fixed a nice dinner for everyone.

Creek and Turf

Day Seven

Got up early and went hunting for 'The One That Got Away'.
Nate and I both combed that particular section and up and downstream of it.
Neither of us hooked any monsters but we did get a few.

Going upstream I noticed a familiar patch of golden brown in the same patch of grass from yesterday, and there was the same fawn. I called to Nate so he could come get a look, we edged up pretty close before the fawn took off up the steep hillside, stopping to watch us. Again no sign of it's Doe.
I figure it was abandoned or lost in a creek crossing, or maybe it's Doe got killed, don't know.
But I do know it isn't going to last long, some bear or pack of yotes is going to find it.

The Trip Home

The trip home was a fairly uneventful 1100 miles.
A little heavy rain here and there, but no traffic jams or other delays.
We over nighted in Abingdon, VA and hit the road again.
I talked the family into detouring through NC and GA via I-40E / The Gorge, and it was as beautiful as I remembered it. Went through Atlanta and it wasn't too bad being a Sunday.

Home

Hello Double Ds

We brought a nice bag of fish home this time.
Breakfast and dinner on Monday featured fried trout, yum!

Trout with Hashbrown Casserole

Trout with Cob Corn and Cucumber

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Benni3

Great trip,,,and thanks for taking us along ,,,,the photos where fabulous  ;D