Blank for Slow Pitch Jigging Rod

Started by STRIPER LOU, May 23, 2018, 03:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

I'm considering building a Slow Pitch jigging Rod. The problem is there are no blanks around in my area to look at. I'd prefer to get a feel for the stick before I purchase but that might not be possible.

7 foot is a good size for my application and should be able to handle a jig range, say from 4 to 8 oz and possibly 10 at times.

Its going to be a conventional wrap, not planning on anything overly fancy as this is going to be a working rod that will get some serious use!!
Not looking to build a cheapie but don't want to break the bank either.

I'd consider a built rod but if the time allows, I'd rather wrap my own.

Anyone have any suggestions for either???

Thanks,  ..  Lou

Reel 224

I have a stick Lou but you have to take my word for it's use. What kind of reel Spinning or Conventional?

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

STRIPER LOU

Hi Joe, I'm not much for spinning. It will definitely be conventional for those weights and a length of 7 to 7 1/2 feet. I was on the phone with a tackle shop in Niantic that buys knobs from me.

He has a few blanks that he's wrapping for himself. Seeing how I'll be down there on Friday to put the boat in, I'm going to check them out. You know how it is with rods,  ...   It has to have the feel!

I appreciate the offer on the stick and I'll most definitely keep it in mind.

Down in the shop making wire lines. Everybody wants them now.

Have a great day,  ..  Lou

Reel 224

Lou: Any time you feel the urge to have a custom rod I would be glad to do the job, If you can make a deal with the guy you do business with I understand I do that all the time. Bartering is a way of business also.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

STRIPER LOU

Joe, that's a more than kind offer and I'm sure it would be a beauty. It's the blank I'm concerned about and more so, it needs to be something I'm comfortable with if I'm going to put the time into it.

He has a couple different weight slow pitch blanks that he's building for himself.

It'll give me the opportunity to see if its a stick I like. He's a good guy to deal with and buys a bunch of stuff from me every year.

I do rod repairs here at the shop if someone needs it but shy away from the major stuff due to the lack of time. Its going to be a bit different here this year (maybe) as I've given up a few other things I've done in the past in an effort to get to more of my own work off the ground.
That being said, Its probably been at least five yrs or more since I wrapped a stick, and I thought it might be fun and something different for a change. My brother and I built for years when we fished the beach.

Back then there wasn't much around for money and rolling  your own was cheap and a necessity.

I'll keep you posted and thanks again,  ..  Lou

Reel 224

Lou: Any time, your more then an fellow AT guy and a good friend so I understand the feel of a rod that is key to making a choice so don't feel that you have to go with sight unseen and I don't live close enough to take the ride here.

Joe

boon

I'm not sure a blank exists that will properly slow-pitch jigs from 100g to close to 300g. To actually pitch the latter it will be way too stiff for 100g jigs; slow-pitch rods usually have an effective weight range of maybe 100g, only 50g of which is really ideal.

Do you want a true Japanese style slow-pitch, point-the-rod-at-the-fish setup?

STRIPER LOU

Yup, I'm asking for a lot, probably the impossible? Ksong said the  7'3" would handle up to 14 oz. if I'm not mistaken.

Most of the guys fishing them here have 2 rods. One for lighter jigs and one for heavier. I'm not ready to spend that kind of money but that's more than likely the better way to go.

The only part that saves me is a majority of my jigs will be 200 to 300g's, so if I cover that reasonably well, all will be good.
Boon, you are correct and I appreciate your insight.

I should know,    .....   one size fits all isn't likely.

Thanks,  ..  Lou

boon

Better to go for a blank designed around 250g jigs or so then; better to have a rod that's a bit too stiff if you want to go down to a lighter jig than to have the jig completely overpower a lighter rod.

Also in fishing terms you can fish a heavy jig any time you want, but if there's too much current/drift to get down with a light jig and you can't go heavier then you're stuffed.

I have a 150-250g slowjig rod (Okuma Nanomatrix, unsure if they're available in your parts of the world) that is also an extremely nice rod for light-weight bottom fishing with bait. I have it paired with an Komodo 364 and it's a very nice combo.

Reel 224

boon: You just went way over my head ??? But we can't know it all. And I have a lot to learn.

Joe

redfish12

check out the rainshadow knife jigging rods. The 7ft might be a little noodly for that high end of weight but that's kinda the point with slow pitch jigging anyway! They are cheap enough to buy and turn and if you don't like it then you can sell it to a blackfish / floook guy.