Tyrnos 50 2speed LRS vs TLD50 2speed and Corrosion X vs TSI 321

Started by Joao Tavares, July 09, 2018, 12:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joao Tavares

Hi all

Newbie here trying to learn as much as possible from this great site.

What are your thoughts of the advantages and disadvantages comparison between the above-mentioned reels? The schematics make them look the same from what I can perceive.

Also, how do you compare Corrosion X with TSI 321?

Thank you
João

ScottOz

Hi Joao,
            I had the same ? When getting my reel.Imo it depends on what line class you intend to fish.If only 50lb I would have went the tld purely because I think maintence would have been easier long term with less corrosion Issues.I end up getting the tyrnos because I wanted a reel for sharking off the beach.Has 500mtr of braid backing approx 200mtr of 80lb mono topshot.Bigggest shark so far was it's first catch of a 8'6" bull shark off the beach and when the tyrnos was put in low gear the shark never had a chance.I did a full strip down and corossion control grease up.Hope this help a bit.Cheers Scott

boon

Tyrnos has a metal frame, TLD is graphite/plastic/whatever they are calling it now.

Donnyboat

Hi Joao, my experience with Shimano reels is, dont get me wrong, they do make a good product, with a life time garrantee, which is 10 years, but you will be lucky to get parts for the reel after 8 years, where as most Penn reels even models made around 1950, you can still get parts for them, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Joao Tavares

If I understand it right, the only difference between the two of them is the frame. The TLD's is graphite whereas the Tyrnos is metal (Hargane).

Now still wondering the difference/application of TSI321 vs Corrosion X.

Both used for same purposes?

Cheers

FatTuna

Biggest difference is the frame and side plates. That's a huge difference though. With that comes a weight difference. The TLDs are super light weight which is nice but I've seen them shattered into pieces.

Looks like gear ratios are different.

A lot of times, the more premium reels come with better internal components, bearings etc.

Personally, I would get the Tyrnos. If you are trying to save money, you could also hunt down a used International II for short money.

Joao Tavares

I wonder how big of a fish and what applied drag combined can shatter a TLD 2speed 50 LRS to pieces. I own a TyrnosII 2speed 50 LRS. Was just wondering if a TLD could have advantages over a Tyrnos.

FatTuna

Almost every TLD 50 II that I've rebuilt was because of a shattered frame. If you think about it, it doesn't even make sense. 50lb reel made out of graphite......

I wonder what type of fish could do that too ;D.

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: FatTuna on July 15, 2018, 09:19:03 AM
Almost every TLD 50 II that I've rebuilt was because of a shattered frame. If you think about it, it doesn't even make sense. 50lb reel made out of graphite......

I wonder what type of fish could do that too ;D.

Or just dropping it onto a hard surface :-\

conchydong

Surprised Tiburon never made a aluminum frame for the TLD 50s like they do for the 20II and 30II. I was lucky to get a Willfish frame at a great price when they were available for my TLD 50 but evidently Willfish quit making them. I would choose the Tyrnos also between the two especially if you fish with a harness on larger fish.

Joao Tavares

So it seems the Tyrnos was not a bad choice compared to the TLD for that size.

I followed Alan's guidelines and lubed it up before first time fishing with it. Hope it will last a long time.

Cheers

Rivverrat

Everyone here has their likes & dislikes when it comes to reels. Overall I'm not a fan of Shimano reels & thats being diplomatic about it. That said the Tyrnos & TLD are good reels... Jeff