Comparing 110 with 110N--spool diameter and depth

Started by festus, May 25, 2018, 03:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I can pick up a DAM Quick 110N for cheap locally that needs some slight repair, just have to wait a few days until the seller gets back from vacation.   Just needing some input from someone who owns both the 110 and 110N.  From a few pics I've seen on here the spool diameter and rotor depth on the 110 seem smaller than the 110N.  Saw some specs there is little difference between the two reels in weight, however.  Is there enough difference in diameter and depth of the spool to affect casting distance?  I already have a 110 and am a little disappointed with the spool size.  On another note, I have a couple of 220 and one 220N and actually like the feel and sound of the 220N better than the 220, even though the 220 is probably a better engineered reel.

If one of you guys has time, can you please take a side to side comparison photo, or if you have one already, please post it.  I was comparing my 550 with my 550N a few minutes ago and there isn't much difference.

mo65

I only have the older 110, but just by looking at photos I'd say there isn't enough difference to affect casting distance. If you can get the 110N on the cheap Festus, snatch it up. Even though the older 110 is the superior design, the 110N is still way tougher than the fishing it was designed for. My favorite of the ultralight Quicks is the 265 Microlite. It is just so well designed its ridiculous. They had to know it would last forever...must have had no desire to get rich selling reels. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

I think my preconception toward the 110 has been because it was missing the washer that sets under the hex nut that connects the rotor to the pinion.  Fred Oakes graciously provided this missing link that arrived in the mail today.  Now the 110 is completely operable.  Before I got the part installed the rotor would come loose after a minute or two of cranking.  But my 110 is the noisiest of my D.A.M. Quick collection.  Only thing I can figure is the pinion bearing. But it looks good.

Down the road I plan on getting a Microlite 265, but haven't seen one I'm willing to pay the price yet.

mo65

I gave my brother a 110 he uses for trout fishing...he absolutely loves the thing. I had a bit of trouble getting the bail set correctly, the wire was tweaked and it put a bind on the spring, making it seem weak. Eliminating that bind made it snap like a new one. That reel isn't noisy at all...makes me wonder what is going on with yours. Is it noisy with the main gear disconnected? If it's still noisy spinning just the pinion and bearing, then it probably is that bearing, but I have a hunch it's the mesh between the main and pinion. Maybe try adding a shim or two behind the main...just to see what happens. Most times a minor tweak in the mesh can really change the feel and sound. 8)

festus

With the main gear disconnected and handle completely removed with the bearing, pinion and all in place,  with rotor nut and Fred's washer installed, just spinning the rotor it's noisy.  I've shimmed various ways and that has no effect.

festus

If I hadn't owned a 220 for the last 49 years, I probably wouldn't have any complaints about this reel.  It just seems out of proportion with the big 220 body and the tiny rotor and spool.  ;D  The Shakespeare 2052 and Mitchell 308 seem more logical.

mo65

Quote from: festus on May 25, 2018, 09:02:36 PM
With the main gear disconnected and handle completely removed with the bearing, pinion and all in place,  with rotor nut and Fred's washer installed, just spinning the rotor it's noisy.  I've shimmed various ways and that has no effect.

Yes indeed...sounds like the bearing is your culprit.

festus

After several searches, I found Fred's pic comparing the 3 microlights.  I still like the looks of the 110N over all the rest.

festus

Looks like there isn't any difference in spool diameters between the 110 and the 110N.  But the 110N has a deeper rotor cup.  The housing on the 110N is shorter both horizontally and vertically. 

The bail wire on the 110N is much thicker than the 110.  Also the 110N has a bail plate on the non-handle side, and the 110 doesn't.  I serviced the bail assemblies thoroughly on both reels, and the 110N is much crisper.  Also the 110N has 3 settings for bail snap, low, medium, and high return.  One drawback to the 110N is it has a bail stop that is prone to freeze.  Very tedious work to get the tiny c-clip removed and replaced, but a magnetic screwdriver helps.

Overall I like the balance and smoothness of the 110N best.

mo65

Interesting info on the 110N Festus. I don't have a 110N, so thanks for posting. 8)

Whit

I agree with Festus on the 110N being more fishable, though I do wish the 110N came with an aluminum spool.  A little backing with some old braided line helps address that issue though.

That said, I do think I prefer the Penn 420 ss, Penn 716 and Shakespeare 2052 over either the 110 or 110N.  Whatever floats your boat I guess!!!!

Since the 110N seems to me to be a little more robust (i.e. perfect for about 8 lb line where the 110 is more of a 4-6 lb line class) I have it in the same category as the 430ss and 714 Penn, which is my "perfect" size for river fishing for  smallmouth and walleye.

Whit

festus

Quote from: Whit on July 17, 2018, 09:41:51 PM
I agree with Festus on the 110N being more fishable, though I do wish the 110N came with an aluminum spool.  A little backing with some old braided line helps address that issue though.

That said, I do think I prefer the Penn 420 ss, Penn 716 and Shakespeare 2052 over either the 110 or 110N.  Whatever floats your boat I guess!!!!

Since the 110N seems to me to be a little more robust (i.e. perfect for about 8 lb line where the 110 is more of a 4-6 lb line class) I have it in the same category as the 430ss and 714 Penn, which is my "perfect" size for river fishing for  smallmouth and walleye.

Whit
I've never owned a Penn spinner, so I don't know about them.  But I'll have to agree with the Shakespeare 2052.  They seem to have a better drag system than the D-A-M Quioks of similar size.

mo65

I was checking out the drag stack details between the two...interesting...they are very different. The old 110 has more surface area, but the 110N has a hex washer. Either one has enough power to bust your 6lb. line...so smoothness would win out...giving the Teflon of the 110 the edge. 8)

happyhooker

Nice discussion-thanks for the time on this.

Frank

handyandy

I like all of the little dam quicks, I'd say I like the microlite better than the 110 and even my 110n over the 110 a little. The anti reverse on the 110 is arguably a little more robust than the other two, but on that little reel if I'm fishing a finesse bait on a light sensitive rod the plunking of the anti reverse into the main gear of the 110 I can feel it. It's not bad I still fish my 110 plenty just a minor thing that makes me like the microlite a little more. The Microlite anti reverse does have the ratcheting dog, but I don't feel the anti reverse like I do in the 110 on a light sensitive rod. The microlite aluminum spool with one larger drag washer is a plus to me that gives it the edge over the 110n, cause the 110n is quiet a smooth reel, and I like the anti reverse on it albeit a little more of a pain to take apart and put back together than the 110. You can put a microlite aluminum spool on a 110 if you want a really robust little reel. All of them I think have about the same line capacity and can easily handle 8lb mono. If you really wanted to I think 15lb braid would be fine on them as well. I think all of them look good, but to me I think the 110n has a little more sleek look to it. You can't go wrong with having any or all these little reels. My 110 has handled a few decent hybrids (white/stripe bass mix) that I have accidentally tangled with while sauger jigging in the winter.