alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Kingkast - don't throw rocks at me!
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
November 18, 2018, 02:13:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kingkast - don't throw rocks at me!  (Read 2466 times)
Nicko_Cairns

« on: October 18, 2015, 04:47:01 PM »

Hi guys,

I read some pretty good reviews for the price and got two on the way from the USA for $119 delivered... so I'm very curious to see how these reels fish. If they don't cast well that's fine as I can use them as trolling reels from my kayak but judging by the reviews they should be surprisingly good...

Will let you know! Anyone else have one yet? (kingkast royale baitcaster).

Cheers.
Nicko_Cairns

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 10:43:43 AM »

Haha well I'm guessing that's a big no! Well I'll do a quick show and tell and will put up a review of them after a few trips Smiley
tristan

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 10:08:49 AM »

No rock throwing, but unfamiliar with that make of reel.   Can you post specs or links?

Are your reels spinners or conventionals?
swill88
Photo Group

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 10:37:27 AM »

says made in hong kong...

http://www.kastking.com/kastking-royale-low-profile-baitcasting-fishing-reel/
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 12:01:06 PM »

i'd want to completely go through it first. but i bet they would be ok after that.....   Undecided

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
jplee3

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 06:48:39 PM »

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but just curious if anyone around here has gotten one of these (or other KK reels) or has spent any time poking around inside? I recently got one and opened it up to check after a couple surf outings. Some minor corrosion/rust around the shaft area where the star drag sits, and some minor rust stains on the belleville washers. Otherwise, seems to be in pretty good condition otherwise. I wiped off the existing grease/moisture on the drag stack and re-greased with Cal's, as well as hit as much else as I could with CX and Yamalube. It was a little tricky getting the spool to sit right on the shaft but eventually I got it and it seems OK. This isn't designed for saltwater btw so for anyone who absolutely mandhandles and abuses their reels (especially in the salt) this reel probably wouldn't last longer than a couple days lol.

In particular, I read an anecdote about a guy who fished this in the salt for two days before it was no good. The killer for me was that he "soaked" the reel in water thinking that would help. What I've generally noticed is that if you "soak" reels intended for freshwater in freshwater after a saltwater outing, rust tends to develop very quickly unless you dry that sucker out really well. I'm assuming this is because the internal components on reels intended for freshwater likely are not anodized or corrosion/rust resistant...?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 06:52:17 PM by jplee3 » Logged
Tiddlerbasher
Photo Group

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 02:17:30 AM »

I have a few of the KastKing Katmai fly reels. For the price they are well made - good machining and everything works smoothly including the disk drag (don't believe the stated drag figures - useable drag on the 7/8 size is 10lb - not the claimed 25lb Roll Eyes) They also claim it's waterproof - I haven't tested it but it looks more water resistant than proof.

They also make another fly reel the Kobuk - tried one in 9/10 but returned it - sloppy spool fit. Some of the machining had left fairly sharp edges on the spool (not very good for the line). The drag was weak. A very different animal to the Katmai at a similar price Huh?

If you can still find them the Katmai range are good. Using hollow core braid for backing I can get 150+ yds of backing and an 8wt saltwater flyline on the 7/8 wt reel. For UK trout/salmon fishing I use the 5/6 wt Katmai as it's lighter and balances a modern cf fly rod better.

Their website isn't showing any fly reels at the moment - maybe they have stopped production Undecided
mo65
The Freshwater Kid...Chillicothe, Ohio
Sensei

"This ship is filthy Mr. Christian!"

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 06:04:49 AM »

I wish someone would correct the title of this thread..it's driving me nuts...LOL! My brother just bought a KastKing Rover 60. It looks, feels, and smells like an Abu Garcia 5600/6600 and sells for a very low price. Time will tell how she holds up. Cool

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: