What do you know about Loki reels?

Started by Smols, May 25, 2018, 06:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smols

I've seen these reels on my local CL and the auction site lately. Does anyone have any knowledge about these? Are they complete junk or a descent reel for someone who keeps their gear maintained?

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/brand-new-loki-fishing-reels/6597015297.html

Smols

boon

From what I can find out on Google, they're almost certainly just another brand getting their logo slapped on some gear made in China.

The little lever drag reels are an interesting hybrid of an Accurate 197C and a Maxel, they have some very nicely made parts in them (anything machined tends to be really good, frames/gears/spools, and some terribly made parts alongside those (bearings, screws, anything cast). Quality control is almost non-existent so your reel could be lovely or it could be terrible.

MolBasser

I just bought a KMUCutie 200L  It is the same reel as the Loki with just a chinese brand.

I'll let you know how it goes.

MolBasser

MolBasser

I just got it, and it seems pretty solid.  Might need (well, does need) to be broken down and checked for proper lube.  It would appear to basically be a clone of a Accurate Boss twin drag.  Just glancing at the schematics shows them to pretty much be the same.  I will try and take some pictures when I break it down.

MolBasser

MolBasser

And the KMUCutie that I got is the exact same reel as the Loki but with different branding.

MolBasser

MolBasser

Quote from: boon on July 03, 2018, 04:05:46 AM
From what I can find out on Google, they're almost certainly just another brand getting their logo slapped on some gear made in China.

The little lever drag reels are an interesting hybrid of an Accurate 197C and a Maxel, they have some very nicely made parts in them (anything machined tends to be really good, frames/gears/spools, and some terribly made parts alongside those (bearings, screws, anything cast). Quality control is almost non-existent so your reel could be lovely or it could be terrible.

my KMUcutie has some rough spots to the machining, but otherwise pretty good.  Stainless gears, I just removed the frame because the free spool tension (cast control know) seemed to not function properly and I wanted to check it out.  It is reverse threaded LOL.  So clockwise loosens it and counter clockwise tightens it.  They even printed the arrows on the reel wrong.  I didn't have time to fully break it down, and I need to study the diagram more before I do that....

For 115 bucks and two week delivery from China to my door, so far looks like a good deal.

MolBasser