Mitchell 302/402 bail wire lock nut?

Started by newfuturevintage, May 25, 2018, 07:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newfuturevintage

Looks like mine fell off my 402 the last time I went snare crabbing. D'oh!

I wanted to ask, even though I suspect the answer will be no, is this a standard metric thread? If so, I'd love to use a stainless nylock as a replacement. The originals seem prone to loosening and being, ahem, 'difficult' to tighten sufficiently with the wrenches I have.

This is part number 81388 on the schematic. I haven't checked closely enough to see, but I'd be surprised if I didn't also lose #81387 the 'lock' washer.

Thanks!

Ron

Swami805

I'm fortunate to have a specialty fastener shop close to my office and get lucky most of the time finding a screw/nut that work. Bring the reel with you if you have a place like that.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

foakes

Hi Ron —

Here are a couple of the NOS pieces for your 402.

You certainly could put a lock nut on the bail — however, it would be better to install the correct factory pieces.

Notice that that the underside of the domed hex nut is recess/machined slightly to allow the lock washer to operate properly while still offering no gap against the bail lever to accumulate crud.  

If installed with the proper torque using a 8mm nutdriver or socket — it will never loosen until you want it to.

Plus, these will not rust.

If you will PM me your full address — I will send these to you at N/C.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

newfuturevintage

Thanks (again!) Fred!

PM sent with address.

I wonder if my 402 even had the lock washer installed when the nut went away. Very possibly it didn't. This reel's definitely had some "unauthorized modifications" performed on it over the years.

foakes

Yeah, those little things get lost all of the time over the years.

On the way to you, Tuesday...PO closed Monday for the Holiday.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

newfuturevintage

Thanks so much, Fred! Looking forward to getting this back in use. This is one of my favorites for pier crabbing.