reel lock up

Started by day0ne, May 26, 2018, 05:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

day0ne

I've got a weird problem. I'm building a 113H with the Tib extra narrow frame and Cortez sideplates, 4.0:1 gears and all the goodies. When I install everything on a double dog bridge, the reel locks up, spool is hard to turn as is the gear train. When I install everything (all the same parts) on a 113H bridge, everything is OK. I've tried multiple double dog bridges, no help. Greased everything and can't find any sign of rubbing. I've had this apart so many times, I can do it blindfolded. I have noticed that the 4.0:1 pinion is a bit larger than a stock 113H pinion but the hole in the bridges measure the same. Any ideas?
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Swami805

A shot in the dark but are the bridge screws sticking out far enough to hit the inside of the spool?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shark Hunter

I was thinking the same thing. That is the normal issue with building these.
Life is Good!

alantani

look for wear on the yoke.  you might have problems with the pinion gear grinding into the stainless steel yoke.  i saw the same problem a while back. never did find a cause or solution.  the customer wanted stock gears back in and we just left it at that.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

Yeah. Kinda sounds like if it's not the bridge screws rubbin on the spool, the pinion gear is out of alignment. But why would the dd bridge(indirectly?) cause this, unless there's a manufacturing defect? Somethin to do with the e. Jack and yolk Pushin the pinion out of alignment?

One thing I've experienced is slight pinion misalignment with ball bearing Penns. Put the reel in free spool, turn the handle and the spool turns under slight friction. I call it "friction cast control" cause I can't solve it. I believe the JM 505 & 506 I have, could have come new outta the box like that. Not so on the bushing Penns(e.g. LB 60) because, I believe, the pinion moves up/down on the end of the bushing as well as the spool shaft. The shaft and bushing end fit together like one perfectly matched unit. Got a well worn late '30's LB 65 Deluxe with no free spool-friction issues at all. Mabey someday I'll try replacing the ball bearings to see if wear is the issue on the other reels.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Army_of_One

Is this the Pro Challenger gear set, with stainless yoke? There has also been a warning about tightening the S bridge screws a little at a time to help it set evenly.
Another day in Paradise!

Reel 224

Just an Idea. But could the problem be the recess on the pinion yoke not being recessed enough? if you took it back a few thousands to see. Just a thought.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

PacRat

Since everything seems to work with your stock plates; it must be a tight tolerance issue with the new parts. You need to go back to basics. Clean everything real good to get all the grease off. Then use a sharpie and blacken every surface where you suspect a rub or out of tolerance situation. This could be top and bottom edges of your gears (both main and pinion), your spool shaft, inside surfaces of your CC sideplates, your main shaft, etc. Then re-assembles and give her a few cranks. Like mentioned earlier you may not want to tighten everything too tight. When you take it back apart you will see that the ink will have been scraped away in the tight spots. This will give you very good indication of heavy friction and excessive contact. Then address these areas. Pay close attention to your gear sleeve and make certain it's fitting low enough on your main shaft, this will wear the ink off the top of your main gear. Once you get it sorted out you can clean the ink off with alcohol or any good solvent.
-Mike

Gfish

PacRat! Gotta give credit where it's due. You reminded me with this post that most a what I posted above is based on a long, detailed and educational post of YOURS from a while back. If I remember right, it had to do with Jigmaster aftermarket build issues. I remember some of the details cause I read it about 5 times. Thanks, Mike.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

day0ne

One thing I should have mentioned. When the sideplate is assembled with the DD bridge, but off the reel, everything turns fine. As soon as it is placed on the reel, it seems to lock up. You don't even need to put any sideplate screws in. The bridge screws do protrude on the DD bridge but show no signs of rubbing. In fact, since no drag star is on at this time, the drag is somewhat inoperative, but the gear sleeve by itself is still difficult to impossible to turn. In gear, out of gear doesn't matter. When I loosen the left plate bearing, the spool is very difficult to move back and forth.
David

Alto Mare

Quote from: day0ne on May 27, 2018, 05:12:22 AM
One thing I should have mentioned. When the sideplate is assembled with the DD bridge, but off the reel, everything turns fine. As soon as it is placed on the reel, it seems to lock up. You don't even need to put any sideplate screws in. The bridge screws do protrude on the DD bridge but show no signs of rubbing. In fact, since no drag star is on at this time, the drag is somewhat inoperative, but the gear sleeve by itself is still difficult to impossible to turn. In gear, out of gear doesn't matter. When I loosen the left plate bearing, the spool is very difficult to move back and forth.
Check if you have a small bump on the two dogs from the cutter, if so, it will need to be filed off.
As tiny as the bumps are, they get caught on the gear sleeve ratchet.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JRD

So the sideplate uninstalled works fine.  Put it on the Tib kit and it locks up?  Maybe a spool issue.  Take the bridge out of the sideplate and install the empty sideplate to test the spool.  I recently had the same issue on a smaller spool.  Stressed over the reel for weeks until the only thing left was to try another spool and the reel worked great.  Mounted the original spool into an empty frame and it locked.  You can alternatively roll the spool on a flat surface and check the spool shaft by eye.

day0ne

I thought I would update this thread and give a shout out to Alan Chui. Out of the clear blue, I got a call from Alan, asking about my problem. He probably thought I was a dufas, since I was half asleep and the TV was too loud, and I couldn't hear what he was saying. Anyway, we talked about the problem and finally figured out which of my orders of bridges we were talking about, and came up with a possible solution which worked. He even offered to have the reel sent to Sal. This was customer service far and above the norm and I thank him.
David

Gfish

Agree about Allen C.'s customer service. Come-on, don't leave us hangin, what was the problem? I'm always interested in these guesstimate the problem deals.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Gfish on June 11, 2018, 11:58:54 PM
Agree about Allen C.'s customer service. Come-on, don't leave us hangin, what was the problem? I'm always interested in these guesstimate the problem deals.

Hi,

The issue was that the second batch production run order was using the wrong measurements drawing (one of the bridge screw hole was about 3mm off), and I had recalled those items. I was able to get most of them back and rectified that issue and re-distributed back to Scott's Bait & Tackle and Brain's Fishing Supply.

I instructed my factory to delete that 113H bridge wrong measurements drawing file, and they did.

I am very sorry about this issue. I will make sure this will not happen again.

Thanks,
--Alan