Mitutoyo Micrometer

Started by Bill B, May 26, 2018, 05:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

My son purchased a tool chest full of tools and inside he found a Mitutoyo micrometer Head tool.  Obviously it is a precision measuring tool accurate to 0.001" as stated on the tool, but what is it?   What does it do? And what is it worth?  Sorry for being upfront on asking the worth, he is trying to recover his money on the tool chest and trying to help my son out......Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tiddlerbasher

They are typically used for precise positioning or aligning of objects, jigs, multi axis tables etc.
I used to work in a photometry lab and we used for them for aligning and measuring objects under a microscope - you can't exactly clamp calipers onto an easily deformed object (such as rubber) but you may still need to know its dimensions.
To buy new the cost will depend on many variables inluding accuracy and function. But a simple used head I wouldn't expect to pay more than $20-30.

Gfish

Cool! Pre-digital thickness gage. The small knurled end piece is the clutch. Don't know what the extra tool would be for. I think this would give you more accurate measurements than a inexpensive H. Depot type a caliper. Try measuring one your head hairs: should be 2-4 thousands ofa inch. Takes some getting used to, determining the measurements.
Worth unknowen.
I've got an inherited 1940's Lufkin set(3). Very well made with close tolerances, but the Tropical climate has not been kind to the threads.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oldmanjoe

It is a wire micrometer , and the wrench is used for calibrations purposes .        New they were about 150. dollars   
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Bill B

Thanks guys, will pas this info on to him....cool tool and feels really smooth and precise....Bill

happyhooker

Mitutoyo is considered a high quality brand in measuring instruments.
The wrench lets you loosen the pieces of the wrench (for lack of a better description) so that you can make the zero reading reflect a true zero measurement of the tool. Some similar measuring devices use a hex (Allen) wrench for the same purposes; my Lufkin micrometer does not use either, although I forget exactly how the zeroing is accomplished.

Frank

joel8080

The Mitutoyo came with a strip of Metal to use to set the Micrometer and the wrench was for locking it down after it was set.

Joel 8080
Oceanside,California

Bill B

Thank you for the info, now I noticed the strip is missing,  can I use a feeler gauge instead?  I know that will have to asssume the feeler gauge is correct, but at least it's a start.  Bill

joel8080

Using a feeler guage would be OK as long as it's Metric.

Joel 8080
Oceanside,California