new huck fin, may 25th, 2018 - really slow.......

Started by alantani, May 26, 2018, 02:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

guys, the new reel is working out great!  i use the 7 foot grafighter last week switched out to the 8 foot grafighter this trip and i like the extra length.  thank you so much!!!!!

the skipper, jay yokomizu, took us to 20 different spots in the bay yesterday.  we just could not get the fish to bite.  at a whopping 7 pounds, i ended up with the biggest striper for the day.  one of the guests, not a club member, landed a 25 pound halibut.  too bad it didn't qualify for the derby.  with my striper last week and my halibut from last week, i could actually win both categories.  we are talking about several hundred dollars in prize money!!!!!!

i don't have any photos of the striper, but here are some photos of the bay.  we actually saw the ENTIRE north half of the bay yesterday.  tourists would pay twice that for a 4 hour tour and not even get a chance to fish!

we were marking plenty of fish.  they just didn't want to bite.  for the 20 of us, there were only a handful of halibut caught, and a maybe a dozen striped bass.  

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

oh, so about this club.  it's called southside anglers.  https://www.southsideanglers.com/  it originally started out after the war in san jose's old japan town.  it was just an excuse for all of these older japanese guys to get away from their wives for a "meeting" once a month, plus go fishing, hang out and drink beer.  these guys would have all been my dad's age. 

the club was whittled down pretty badly over the decades, but has recently bounced back.  now it's guys in their 50's and 60's.  we are all now the same age as our father's were when they were in this club, the fishing is not as good, and no one drinks as much, but it's still fun to hang out.  they put together some really fun trips and some pretty decent money pots.  i'm in the running to win the two biggest pots this month.  stay tuned!!!!!   ;D

Swami805

Looks like a fun trip fish or no fish. It's a good skipper who keeps moving around when the fishing is scratchy like that. Best of luck in the derby. Nice to see that reel getting fished,glad you like it. Need to hook a big sturgeon and give it a workout.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Big Tim

Nice pics of the Bay Alan...How can you be in the running for the biggest Striper without a pic. ?  ::) Love that reel man.

Tim

Rivverrat

Quote from: alantani on May 26, 2018, 02:02:27 PM

.... tourists would pay twice that for a 4 hour tour and not even get a chance to fish!

Alan, thanks for this perspective. With the cost for me to  travel to California & fish  from a boat I'm always looking for a more cost efficient way to do this for my son & myself. Dont know that this particular means would be available to us however it lets me know their are options... Jeff

Gfish

Great pictures of the Bay. Especially like the sunny shot you got of the "traze". You got some nice weather conditions there, not always the case on the N. Bay.
Does that lanyard clip on your reel knob bother you when reeling in, or do you guys unclip for retrievial/fish fighting?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

definitely unclipped! 

Gfish

Hmmm... Yeah with the typea clip you're usin, you could just quickly "one-hand it" offa there.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!